Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: att

Stop default app from launching

Does anyone know how to prevent the default application for video from lauching when I choose to open a video file?  The default program doesn't want to play my mkv files despite the manual saying this is a supported file type.  Or, is there something I can do to these video files before uploading them to my Playbook to increase the chances of them playing?

The default program does see those files and even shows the in-play type icon which would indicate that it CAN read them but when I try to open that file, it claims the file type is not supported.

Developer
My Device: BlaclBerry PlayBook 16gb, BlackBerry dev alpha
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Stop default app from launching

1024*600 resolutions are perfect videos to play on playbook. You can convert the videos and upload it. I prefer you to convert it to mp4

Contributor

Converting video is always an option but are we now saying that the screen resolution is what's preventing the mkv files from running?  Since the manual claims these file types are supported and when opening them it says they aren't, I'm hoping to avoid having to convert them if possible.

Developer

Ya if video resolution is more then 1024*600 then it doesn't play

Contributor

Okay thanks.  I'll assume you're talking about the video resolution and not my Playbook screen resolution because I don't see the option to change the Playbook screen resolution under settings.  If this is the case, video conversion is inevitable, I suppose. 

It really seems odd that of 14 different mkv files (all different movies, TV series, and sources) none of them would be the right resolution.  Mental note: just another Playbook quirk to jot down on the list. lol

Developer

In current os you can't change the resolution of playbook but in futre update we may get update where we can change the screen resolution