Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Carbon14
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Strange behavior from battery and/or charger on my Playbook

I have a Playbook 16gb, about a year old which was working well until about 2 months ago when the micro usb port stopped working.  Turns out a pin was damaged, and I had to have a whole new port installed (cost $75.00) with a 30-day warranty.

Two months later, when the warranty had run out the same problem started happening.  I went to another repair shop this time and was told again, a pin was damaged.  I don't know if the first place gave me a damaged port or never removed the old one. I thought this was really strange, but could not dispute it and again had a new usb port installed ($45.00 this time, and a 90-day warranty).

So this time the usb port is working, and the charge comes across the battery icon to show that the battery is charging, except that it never charges up the battery.  Overnight charging later, the battery indicates the charge is still where it was when I originally started charging - but - I seem to be able to work on the tablet for many hours with the charger attached.  So, the charger does not charge the battery but it seems to work like an electrical cord and keep electricity going into the tablet for as long as I need to use it. Trouble is I can't take the tablet anywhere if I can't guarantee I will find a wall plug to plug into.

So I thought maybe the battery is the problem. I installed Battery Guru, but it says the battery health is 90%.  When I remove the charger the battery level starts to drop, but when I plug it back in, it does not increase, but doesn't decrease either.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?  I don't want to go back to the shop and have to spend more money without a guarantee anything will be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Q10 / Playbook

Re: Strange behavior from battery and/or charger on my Playbook

:smileysad:

Are these shops authorized blackberry repair stores?  It sounds like it was never repaired properly in the first place.

Both advertise themselves as Blackberry (including Playbook), repair experts on the Internet and all over their windows and walls. Their display cases are full of fixed Blackberries, and other tablets and phones. I didn't think to challenge them beyond that.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Q10 / Playbook

I think thats fine.  This is a gray area since 2 companies have worked on it.  I don't think you should have to keep paying over and over to get the same thing fixed if it is breaking for no reason.  Is it possible for the last company that repaired it to contact RIM for a possible RMA or other repair options?

Yes, that is what I will have to do, I guess.  At least they offered a 90-day warranty, but they may say that the current problem has nothing to do with the last problem because the usb port does work now.

I was hoping someone here may have had a similar problem though so I have a heads up when i take it back for repairs.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
dbthundercat
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: o2

The playbook wont charge if plugged into a computer if thats how your trying to charge it? Could be a faulty charger though if you having that issue. Might not be pulling in enough current.

I work in repairs myself and we've had a few playbook ports not working. Were an authorised repair centre though so the devices just get exchanged under warranty
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Carbon14 wrote:

Yes, that is what I will have to do, I guess.  At least they offered a 90-day warranty, but they may say that the current problem has nothing to do with the last problem because the usb port does work now.

I was hoping someone here may have had a similar problem though so I have a heads up when i take it back for repairs.

90 day support and 1 year warranty is what is offered

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kryshu
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

I have it plugged into an electrical outlet, just the same as I charged it many times before. I have plugged it in several different outlets, in two different cities, and on one moving train actually. The charger works like an electrical cord and it keeps the tablet on for hours, but it does not charge the battery.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kryshu

Thanks, but I was referring to the place that last fixed it.  I can go back there because they gave me a 90-day warranty but now I don't trust their fixing abilities either.  I've had the tablet over a year, so no RIM warranty.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Kryshu

Sorry, forgot to add that I have also tried charging it with my Samsung smartphone charger, which has the same size usb, but nothing there either.  I used the Samsung a few times before and it worked as well as the Blackberry charger, but I was told it was responsible for breaking the pin in the first place because the Samsung usb is not as gentle as the Blackberry.

Please use plain text.