Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
klodha83
My Device: Playbook

Strange issue and unable to find support :(

Hi,

I purchased a blackberry tablet in January, 2012 from local store. Its a 32GB model. I liked it and was using it daily. In August 2nd  week, one evening I noticed its getting very hot and then on back side near BB logo, a bump appeared. Even though battery was around 65% that time and it wasn't in charge. I turned it off and next day had a contact to the shop from where I purchased.

He asked me to wait for 15 days and said he will check and tell me from where I can get it resolved. I kept asking him frequently and he kept telling me that he has informed his dealer and trying to locate a service center in our location or nearby. Lately he informed that I have to find it myself.

I asked few friends, searched over google and BB India site couldn't find any contact number for blackberry except the one which are valid for 90 days from purchase.

Now its almost 4 months since my tablet is not in use due to above issue. I can start it, but not sure if that will increase issue. I am trying to find from where to get support. I am from Bikaner, Rajasthan, India.

If any RIM representative is seeing this message, please pay attention that local stores are good in selling, but not good with providing support, because perhaps they even don't know about these products.

If anyone else also faced similar issue or has some suggestion, please share. 

Thanks

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Strange issue and unable to find support :(

I had a similar experience quite some time ago. My PlayBook got very hot and was like that for a half hour when it started cooling down. I kept using it. I don't know what caused it and it hasn't done it since. I think it had happened immediately after upgrading the OS or downloading a game.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

The bulge was a design problem with early Playbooks and does not cause any harm. 

The heat is usually caused by not being connected to a wifi router.  Hunting for wifi takes a lot of power If you are not connected, turn off wifi on Playbook.

My Device: Playbook

Actually I also noticed that usual heat with wifi and game play.. However this was extreme heat. I wasn't able to hold it for long time and had to drop it.

So can that bulge can be ignored and should I start using it back again. Though that bulge appeared after that heating issue.

Beside the hardware, safety would be my bigger concern. Perhaps because I have heard few incidents with mobile phones where battery generated heat and caused some defect in bodies and continued use resulted in a blast in battery causing physical harm.

So if its advised to try it by charging 100% and monitoring backup time or any other advise.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

The batteries are located on each side with the motherboard in the centre. The heating was likely at the motherboard. I would say to continue using it but with caution. In my case where it got uncomfortably hot and I could feel it through the case my thoughts were, welll work or burn up. It cooled down and has been fine since.