Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Strange omissions in country lists

Hi

I have noticed some irregularities in various country drop down lists used by RIM. Take for example the refund page.

https://consumersupport.webapps.blackberry.com/blackberrycommerce/main?ln=en

Ireland, which is a sovereign independent nation since 1922, is not listed. Neither is Iceland. But strangely Hong Kong is listed, even though Hong Kong is is a special administrative region of the People's Republic of China and not an independent nation.  As an Irishman I feel quite insulted that Ireland is not listed. I am sure Icelanders feel the sameway too.

I have also noticed this in other RIM country lists in an app somewhere but don't remember where exactly. I would like to know how RIM define "country".

regards

Finnian Reilly

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Strange omissions in country lists

[ Edited ]

The official reason is that playbooks are not meant for those countries, yes including rep of Ireland. One Dublin customer was told to register as UK and his post on this forum was not pleasant reading. 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/quot-BlackBerry-PlayBook-should-not-be-av...

My Device: Playbook

Re: Strange omissions in country lists

Given the erosion in market share that RIM has experienced in the last year or so, you think they would be glad to have customers in any country. How much would it cost to add an extra country to the country list. Very little I suspect. Apple and other companies are quite happy to sell to the Irish market even if their operations are based in the UK. But they don't make the mistake of insulting their Irish customers.