Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: N/A

Stuck at booting screen fixed, can I prevent it happening again?

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I have registered to post a question about my playbook.

It's on version 2.0.1.358, and one day wasn't able to get past the Blackberry Playbook logo at boot, but I reset with both volume buttons and it magically booted.

Now my USB port is broken so I can't update any software using that.

My question is - what caused this? is there any way I can prevent this happening again?

I am technical so if I can help you help me by providing logs etc then I will do - thanks in advance.  

One such solution could perhaps be to update it? It has a software update waiting (2.1.0.1526) the only reason I haven't upgraded till now is because I don't tend to upgrade software if I have no reason to

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Stuck at booting screen fixed, can I prevent it happening again?

[ Edited ]

Tablets crash sometimes, you can't stop it happening, and what you did was correct, except only the power button is now required to force a restart. 

If your playbook works otherwise, no need to upgrade if you don't want to, except sometimes Flash and javascript need to be a higher version for security, and that comes with upgrades.

However if the wifi upgrade failed you would need USB to debrick it and that would not be possible in your case.

My Device: Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: N/A

Ok thank you for that, do you know if I didn't manage to get it started again, would I be able to get it repaired under warranty? 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

The period of warranty starts one year from the date the PlayBook was activated.  BlackBerry can tell you if that date has passed

If you talk very very nicely to the folks at BlackBerry, they might just fix your PlayBook even if it is out of warranty.

The USB connection is easily bent up if the USB connector is inserted accidentally without the BB logo facing up.  Some people have had success in gently bending the USB connection back into position, but most have not.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB