Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
SGoodman
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

Stylus Doesn't Work

Greetings,

I just purchased a stylus. In order for it to work, you have to press really hard (hard enough that the PlayBook has to be laying on a flat surface). Also, the stylus itself has to be perfectly perpendicular to the screen for the tap to be detected. If the stylus is held at a slight angle it doesn't work.

I've tried about six styluses, and they all had the same problem. The thing they all had in common was that they have rubber tips. Is this not compatible with the PlayBook? Is there a stylus that does work with the PlayBook?

Thanks,

Shane.

Z10 (version 10.2.1.3247)
LTE Playbook (version 2.1.0.1917)
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
sarah75
My Device: Playbook

Re: Stylus Doesn't Work

[ Edited ]

They should be compatible with "capacitive" screens, usually hollow rubber. They are no more accurate than finger tip and do require similar pressure to a finger or slightly more, but not as hard as you indicate. I bought one for a couple of euros and used it for ten minutes, but fingers are quicker and more accurate with practice. You will get the same area required to detect. You can't get really pinpoint marks or picks. If you want art quality sketching a la david hockney you will need an ipad to be honest.

Sarah.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SGoodman
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

Re: Stylus Doesn't Work

The PlayBook doesn't have a problem detecting my finger, so I don't think the problem is the device. I bought the stylus because the icons in the Status Bar are too small—trying to use my finger usually results in the wrong icon being tapped. I don't do high quality sketching. I just want the right icon to be tapped.

I still think that the rubber tip might be the problem. Are there any other kind of styluses?

Thanks,

Shane.

Z10 (version 10.2.1.3247)
LTE Playbook (version 2.1.0.1917)
Please use plain text.