Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
gino_76ph
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: T-mobile (UK)

Suggestions on how to better the Playbook

[ Edited ]

The BB Playbook is now cheap as ever. but i think its being let-down by an immature, not-so wel-developed, "closed-platform", unsupported, backward OS. 

The competition is getting hotter & crowded by this year as everyone knows.

Here are my suggestions on how to better the Playbook to best suits everyone:

1. Unlocked Bluetooth - for easier sending & receiving files from non-RIM devices

A lack of SD card meant the only way to upload photos is via connecting to a PC or Mac, via email and SHOULD be via bluetooth. security issue? well, bt-transfer is being done for years now. until today with Symbian, Android and iOS devices all doing it. why not RIMs?

2. Documents - improved & better support for most "office"-type files such as PDF, DOC, XLS with easier attaching to emails

3. Camera - basic & in-built features such as red-eye reduction, image stabilasation, smooth 30fps, greater photo compression (for less memeory usage), photo thumbnails (for easier access to a photo just taken), geo-tagging, panorama, high night sensitivity, autofocus, stereo sound and manual zooming whilst recording SHOULD be there. also it should be "compatible" to be used for video-chatting via 3rd-party BB & Android apps (facbook chat, Skype, etc.)

4. GPS - if a chip is there it should be unlocked and make full use of. and the ability to use the chip even in offline mode

5. Music - improved equalizer settings, ability to assign EQs to multiple songs, ability to edit/change/modify an EQ setting (i.e.Custom setting) & some form of surround sound option

6. Video - improved format & codecs support (to include Divx & AVI) plus some form of surround sound option

7. Photo - include a free, easy-to-use, user-friendly photo editing software similar to Picassa or iPhoto

8. Updates - to be done via Wifi for free and to be more often like iOS devices and unlike 6-9 months of wait for Android devices.

9. cheaper apps, cheaper 3rd-party compatible accesories.

10. integrated all-in-one email and SNS app 

Any more to add here....?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jgbrim
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Suggestions on how to better the Playbook

That's all s/w based, and I have no disagreement.

Here's a few H/W changes that should be incorporated on the Playbook V2.0

1 Put the USB power and HDMI connectors on the SIDE, not the bottom.  You cannot stand the PB in any hard cover I have seen while either of the 2 are connected. 

Alternatively, make the power cable and the HDMI cable with 90 deg connectors that significantly reduce their profiles, so a hard case can be used (open, tilted or closed) while connected.

2 Allow full charging while turned OFF.  This is probably s/w related, but.....

4 Make the power button easier to press.  In a case, I need a fingernail and high pressure to push it..

5 Put a FULL sized full function USB port on the side for Thumbdrive data storage and more importantly; data transfer.  It is a pain to have to tether to my PC just to transfer a file at home, and impossible if I'm mobile.

Alternatively, provide a Full sized female to male micro USB adapter (dongle or cable) and make the exiting Micro USB a full function USB port, if it is not already.

There's probably more, but I've had my PB only 2 weeks now.

jgb

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gino_76ph

In this ever-changing landscape of computer tablets and the competition really hotting-up this year with Android 4.0, iOS 5.1+, Windows 8 et al i think RIM has a lot on their hands.

the Playbook has been letdown by poor software support & added features/functionality and a hardware that are either incomplete (or lack thereof),  propreitary, wrong placements and/or non-usability.

Mine might be mostly software related but we musn't forget the hardware bit as well. both has to work hand-in-hand. The success story of Apple & (mostly) Google Android devices is a testament.

I'm still thinking of what can be done to better.

Any more suggestions guys? 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jimlad
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: i am carrying it duh! ;)

sheets to go is useless, i cant sort my rarther large database and i certainly cant navigate around it easily unless i remember what is in each cell.

its a very well built device but there are so many failings related to the software i want to avoid falling into the negativity trap, suffice it to say i'll be using my galaxy nexus a lot more for posting in forums..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lokey40
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

i will add more video support in the browser, also what about and sd card slot, and by far more apps that are of the quailty NEED FOR SPEED
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
dc-it
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Samsung Galaxy Note
My Carrier: Telus

All suggested mods are excellent for PB2.
But we have PB1 so we have to hope for software upgrades + apps to enhance our enjoyment of our PB.

OS2 will address some of the short falls like Calender + email.
I am hoping that Google Maps will also be fixed.
For now the PB works great for Web surfing, Music, Videos, Pictures as a convenient and portable device.
WiFi connection to the PC enable easy file transfer so offset the need for usb flash drive or sd/micro sd slots.
For the sale price that I paid the PB is a great purchase.
DC-IT
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gino_76ph

The sale prices are now gone. now, all we need to hope for is that the Playbook OS ver. 2.0 wil live up to its expectations. 

Its a make or break time for the PB. if not, it will end up in history as a victim of non-support and lack of hardware punch. (like the HP tablet)

Please use plain text.
New Developer
bearmarket
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: att

Be nice if it was possible to record a video chat.

And if user name and passwords didn't drop (this site & facebook)

Please use plain text.