Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

9VIII
My Device: Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: 7-11

Swipe on swipe off mouse cursor and trackpad? (plus a few other ideas)

Hello RIM and fans.

I'm just trying to spread some ideas that will hopefully make the Playbook even more useful.

Right now the Playbook, and any touch only device, seem a little inadequate in navigating websites. Sometimes you need a mouse cursor to hover over objects to interact with them, for example, and sometimes it would just be nice to be able to point at a small spot without zooming in.

As is, the bottom right corner on the Playbook doesn't do anything, and I figure making a swipe from that detection activate a temporary mouse cursor and trackpad would be a natural fit (swipe from the bottom left for keyboard, swipe from the bottom right for mouse, just like desktop positioning).

This is the one biggest change that I can think of to improve the Playbook.

Some other ideas.

Use the bezels for scrolling so that you don't accidentally hit links while navigating websites.

Swipe from the top of the system to the bottom to turn the screen off, an intuitive reversal of the wake up swipe (would encourage users not to leave the screen on as much).

When swiping the screen to wake up the system, it should auto-orientate to the direction of the swipe (normal landscape, left to right portrait, right to left portrait, upside down landscape), so that you could get to using your system immediately and not worry about which side you grab, rather than having to wiggle it around a bit to get it to recognize the direction you want after turning it on.

Sometimes I wish you could just tap the orientation lock button to change orientations, rather than unlocking, rotating, and re-locking (the calculator, for example, still breaks orientation lock. The system should have a faster way of changing orientation with orientation lock on, or make portrait mode compatibility mandatory in all programs).

We need some arrow keys somewhere on the keyboard to make formatting text a little easier.

Thanks for reading.

Please use plain text.