Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
lcocea
Accepted Solution

The future of the PB/BB tablet?

[ Edited ]

I really, really hope that RIM remains Canadian even if the company is sold, which most f* "financial experts" seem to salivate about these days. But either way I wonder if the PlayBook has a future given that BB10 smartphones will feature better hardware than the current PB. Even if an OS upgrade becomes available for PB 2.0 next year (which I doubt; what other reason is there for RIM not to release the Cascades libraries as an upgrade for 2.0 at this time?) I might just decide to buy a BB10 smartphone with WiFi and forget about a tablet, any tablet.

Everyone in my family now owns a PlayBook tablet (that makes three). The only technical difficulties I have experienced with any of them during the last three months are the loss of the much advertised Internet tethering feature upon upgrading to 2.0 (is this by design?) and occasional and transient disconnects/network not found errors on some WiFi networks. I also noticed that some apps (particularly Android apps) can screw up the system making a reboot necessary. Otherwise I can't complain... Well, maybe the App World folks would consider moving all those ... um, expensive ebooks :smileywink: to a separate section, they create a strong background noise under the recent arrivals tab.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: The future of the PB/BB tablet?

OS 2.1 is in BETA now. i hope it comes soon.

Playbook will be getting BB10 as was told during the BB World Conference.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
PjL
Contributor
PjL

If RIM cannot deliver working software now, consumers will not buy their PB.  I don't want an iPad and I dislike Android.  I would have bought the HP tablet, superior hardware and software to most stuff out there, but often, superior hardware equates to failure in the market, remember VHS/Betamax, Windows PIMs/Palm, the list goes on.  I bought the PB on the strength of my BB phone, but even that is quite dated now so where do I go for a new one? BB? Not on my PB experience.

RIM need to do something now, or in 6 months customers will move on and they will be left without a consumer base.

Consumers don't like to think they have made the wrong choice when buying "lifestyle products", but this kind of loyalty only lasts so long.  The future is not if the software is available, but will consumers believe the products do what they claim, I may not anymore.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Beta being released soon this week I hear.

BB10 should be here in 5 months. some think October 10th

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen

See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lcocea

[ Edited ]

[]

Please use plain text.