Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
jeffgedgaud
My Device: Playbook

Time-out options

Why doesn't the PLayBook have any otpion to leave it on all the time when plugged in? It would seem this would be a feature that is automatic when plugged in, several apps like video security from Logitech require the device to remain on when watching video for security purposes but the playbook shuts off in five minutes. 

Just seems like a simple feature that should be added to the drop down list but its not available.

Trusted Contributor
beavertail
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10

Re: Time-out options

I agree with the no time out option.

Another feature is an option to turn off the blinking light. Very annoying at night. It keeps brinking into my eyes. I am about to put a tape over it. lol.

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

I have suggested this in the BlackBerry Beta Zone (Free to join and participate) https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/login/?cont=portals&act=index&item=

It's not a support forum but an opportunity to make suggestions and provide feedback. You can test early releases of software before it goes public.

This is where I posted my comments about the screen time out annoyance. If you were to join, you could either add to my thread or make your own. Doing so in the support forum here won't really make it to the right channels but doing in in the Beta Zone will get heard by management and developers. 

Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Thanks.  I was barking at the wrong tree. 

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

beavertail wrote:

Thanks.  I was barking at the wrong tree. 

I am glad you took the time to comment and add your feedback. If we can do it through the right channels I think we might get a snowball rolling downhill effect and get some action. If you were to join the program and add your reply there then they have to take notice. I am not sure if it really makes much difference in this particular forum or not yet...

Contributor
jeffgedgaud
My Device: Playbook

I received the BlackBerry PlayBook from RIM so if they don't hear that this is a stupid idea and the user should have the timeout option to be suspended or infinite when plugged in from me here they are going to hear it from me in a direct email as well as my review. I have emailed my contact that I received the PlayBook from and will add this to my review so they are going to hear about it.

The main choice they have is to do something about it from here on out. I have not seen a review that mentions this as a major drawback for the tablet but it certainly is for me in the work I have done with it and apps I have tried to use. I really cannot beleive this is still a problem with the company actually making a decision to leave out the option to leave the screen on for the user to decide about.

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

jeffgedgaud wrote:

I received the BlackBerry PlayBook from RIM so if they don't hear that this is a stupid idea and the user should have the timeout option to be suspended or infinite when plugged in from me here they are going to hear it from me in a direct email as well as my review. I have emailed my contact that I received the PlayBook from and will add this to my review so they are going to hear about it.

The main choice they have is to do something about it from here on out. I have not seen a review that mentions this as a major drawback for the tablet but it certainly is for me in the work I have done with it and apps I have tried to use. I really cannot beleive this is still a problem with the company actually making a decision to leave out the option to leave the screen on for the user to decide about.

Yup, I know. When it times out when doing a presentation and you have to go back and turn it back on, it breaks the flow of your presentation. People snark and make fun of your BlackBerry..."should have bought an iPad" and then I want to slap them...

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

beavertail wrote:

I agree with the no time out option.

Another feature is an option to turn off the blinking light. Very annoying at night. It keeps brinking into my eyes. I am about to put a tape over it. lol.

The only blinking light I know is the one that says you have email. Turn it off in notification settings.

The timeout has been repeatedly complained about since OS1.  RIM take no notice whatsoever. 

________
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

[ Edited ]

There is a simple browser called Backlight Override (£1) which will stay awake whilst on view.  That's useful for recording internet radio streaming from iplayer into a computer line in etc.

I was hoping this could run in the background in Showcase mode and keep other apps alive but that does not seem to work. 

________
Trusted Contributor
beavertail

Thank you so much Troy.

No more blinking led in my eyes. I set glow and no led for notification. 

Have a wonderful day.