Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
daviesjim
My Device: playbook 16 gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Total Frustration with Playbook

I bought the Playbook about 8 months ago and it's been nothing but frustrating from day one.

To begin with the device has a problem with my home wifi connection, it connects sporadically but when connected interferes with any other devices also using the wifi network. The only solution is to turn off the Playbook and restart the router in order to get the other laptops to use the wifi.

The next problem was that the playbook wouldn't charge the tablet would draw down the battery but even though when plugged in it showed the device was charging (with the little lightening bolt) the charge percentage would never increase. I found this so maddening I put the tablet away and forgot about it.

Lately I saw there was an upgrade available (I am on OS 2.01) and I thought maybe the upgrade would fix all my problems. I've now tried 3 times to upgrade to OS 2.1 with no success. I've tried using WiFi and using the desktop software each time it went through the entire download and install process (taking several minutes) only to see that the OS was never upgraded.

I'm at the end of my rope, I'll never buy another BlackBerry device and I've been a loyal user for years. I'd love to send the tablet back for repairs but I bought it directly from RIM and I've no idea how I'd go about that.

I'd be interested in hearing any suggestions or similar experiences from other users...did I just get a lemon??

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
john777_a
My Device: Playbook 32 2.1
My Carrier: None

Re: Total Frustration with Playbook

Hey,

i have had a couple of minor annoying issues bro, nowhere near what you've had.

There some direct RIM support phone numbers here 

RIM Phone Numbers

Hope you get sorted.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

[ Edited ]

I had quite a lot of router trouble with the Playbook but got very good help from some of the people from this forum (despite a LOT of venting of frustration on my part - so I totatlly know how you might be feeling about now).

For the router..

Basically, the PlayBook prefers the latest in routers. If yours, like mine, is an older model and you have a lot of wireless devices, then you will probably experience everything from crashing the router itself to losing the IP connection and repeatedly timing out on the reconnect.

The problem and solution (that I experienced) are covered here:

Unfortunately, someone in the house screwed up the network and I had to reset it and possibly missed a step which led to some masive frustration again on my part and more help.. if you are missing any answers in the first thread, it will likely be in the two-parts that sorted my connectivity problems the second time which got it going nicely for good (touch wood).

You should be able to sort out the router without dealing with the PlayBook, but it won't address your probelms related to the OS update.

For the upgrade..

I'm afraid I don't have anything to help with this one. I haven't done the update yet. There are a couple of other posts from people who have had trouble with it. Some of the problem may have happened if you did the update by wifi and then connected to a desktop manager that didn't know how to recognize the PlayBook anymore because of the version change since its last sync. There are some comments on this post that happened to cross-thread with one of my own earlier today and maybe this will help you...

Good luck. If you need help with the router issue I'll keep an eye out to see if I can be of any help.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

I have several laptops/notebooks/tablets on a wifi network and not having any problems here...dont understand why you havent contacted RIM (phone numbers are avail with a google search) and asked for a replacement before the warranty expires..

Gene
Please use plain text.