Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

stevenshing
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Trouble with socket?

[ Edited ]

Not perplexing enough but anyone have trouble with the recharge socket yet.not impressed so far.playbook.

Subject Title edited to reflect new topic.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Trouble with socket?

I have had mine for over a year, no problems so far. However I do believe that a few people have inserted the plug in the incorrect way and have damaged the socket.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

It's the standard micro usb that everyone in the world except you know who has adopted. Plug it in the correct way and it works great, plug it in the wrong way (which takes some forcing) and you are going to have a problem. This is not a BB or PB issue, it's a user issue. Of course the Rapid Charger magnetic plug doesn't have any problems, you can 'plug' it in either way and get even a faster charge.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
satej_neel
My Device: 9520 Storm2
My Carrier: Airtel

May be it was prone to abuse. I am using past 1 year and no probs so far.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

I don't want to derail this thread too much but I have to say that in general I think the USB design is poor (1.1, 2.0 or 3.0 all suffer from the same design problem), whether that is from a full size USB port to a mini USB port to a micro USB port (that's on the PlayBook).

It's a very unstable and prone to damage by design. I personally think a suitable design would have looked like a plus sign + and not a minus sign - see how just a simple design change like that offers more structural stability? Anyhow...sorry about that. Just saying, USB ports are a lame design. Firewire had it right...

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't think there really is a problem with the full size or the mini size, it's when they scaled it down to the micro that the overall dimensions have caused very little differentiation between orienting the plug correctly or incorrectly. On the full size or the mini it's impossible to even force it to be plugged in incorrectly. As evidenced by the user experience on the PB (and other micro usb products) I'd say it should have had a key of some sort added so that it could not be forced incorrectly.

The good part is that finally everyone except those A people utilize an industry common cnnector which eases the charger issues. The downside is they may have adopted a not so perfect solution. Now if they would concentrate on identifying the capacity of the chargers. With a standard connecter everyone assumes that all the chargers are interchangable. While they might physically connect but there is a wide range of power outputs and even voltages and with devices requiring a wide range of charging capabilities obviously there's incompatability. As an example you can see all the posts of people using low power phone chargers on their PB and wondering why they don't charge or it takes days.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

tirgoman wrote:

I don't think there really is a problem with the full size or the mini size, it's when they scaled it down to the micro that the overall dimensions have caused very little differentiation between orienting the plug correctly or incorrectly. On the full size or the mini it's impossible to even force it to be plugged in incorrectly. As evidenced by the user experience on the PB (and other micro usb products) I'd say it should have had a key of some sort added so that it could not be forced incorrectly.

The good part is that finally everyone except those A people utilize an industry common cnnector which eases the charger issues. The downside is they may have adopted a not so perfect solution. Now if they would concentrate on identifying the capacity of the chargers. With a standard connecter everyone assumes that all the chargers are interchangable. While they might physically connect but there is a wide range of power outputs and even voltages and with devices requiring a wide range of charging capabilities obviously there's incompatability. As an example you can see all the posts of people using low power phone chargers on their PB and wondering why they don't charge or it takes days.

Have you ever snapped a usb port middle piece off on a laptop before? I have...motherboard replacement - cost $1000, loving the extended warranty I bought at that time (which I rarely do). USB ports are just a flimsy design - in my opinion, all sizes have their weaknesses. Since I broke my laptop port, I have come to appreciate their fragile nature and make extra effort not to force things. I agree though that microUSB is the worst. A plus sign design would work in any orientation though. It wouldn't make a difference how you plugged it in.

Those "A" people are just getting shafted for extra cash. There is no inherant reason for a proprietary chip to be embedded on a cable unless to extract money from your wallet and prevent cheap knock-offs. Apple does that kind of thing to maximize their profits and control the market. They're inventive and they always seem to find ways to charge $30 for a $2 part. No one complains too much either...it amazes me actually.

I agree though with what you say about using a phone charger on a PlayBook and thinking their USB port is broken because it takes forever to charge.

I also think USB cables should be color coded somehow so you can visually see which side of the USB cable matches to which side of the port. Match red bar to red bar kind of thing (think A goes to A and B goes to B but with color). It would help those who are not color deficient anyhow. It's a UI (user interface) kind of thing.

Anyhow that's not going to happen easily. Was interesting to talk about though... 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suzychan
My Device: BlackBerry tablets
My Carrier: None

i also have a problem  with my socket  it will not plug in at all   this is actually my second  playbook my first one had aproblem with the internet connection  blackberry replaced the device which i had only used for2months     my second device has only lasted 6months due to the socket  i am very disappointed in the quality of these playbooks  I WISH I HAD BOUGHT AN IPAD    

Please use plain text.