Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
allanmack
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Trying to install Overdrive Media console

Downloaded this file from the library. When I try and open the file i get a message unable to find default app.

The file is    .msi

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
GeorgeB
My Device: Playbook 64 GB (used on Wi-Fi); 9900

Re: Trying to install Overdrive Media console

A couple of weeks ago, I had a similar problem - installed OverDrive Media Console. I could see the app, but the Get Book menu item wasn't showing. I was told to delete OverDrive, shut down the PB, and install again. It took _several_ tries doing that, but it finally installed properly, and is working.

Don't know what the problem was, but still working fine now.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Device: PlayBook

Are you installing through App World on your Playbook?
@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
GeorgeB

Yes, I installed it through App World.

But it took several tries before Overdrive Media Console would work. Had to delete it, and then reinstall is several times. I shut down the PB after each delete (but I did not try to see whether shutting down the PB was really needed).

When I could see Get Books (by pulling down the menu in OverDrive), then it was finally installed and working.

I have a PB with OS v2.0, and was just using it on Wi-Fi. I was not using bridge.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
allanmack
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I am installing from my local library

I tried installing from app world. It did run but I was not able to read books because of the DRM. My libraRY SAID THAT i HAD TO GET THE SOFTWARE FROM THEM TO BE ABLE to read their books

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
GeorgeB

I can only relate what the Ramsey, NJ library approach seems to be.

The Ramsey library has two agreements, one with a Bergen County group, www.beataudio.org Bergen eAudio Team. The Ramsey libary does not itself loan any e-books, it simply allows Ramsey library cardholders to borrow ebooks and eaudio from BeAT and from Digital Library NJ.

When I log on to BeAT, it asks me for my library, and then, after I've selected the local library (Ramsey) that I have a card from, my library card number. They check that number, before allowing any downloads of books or audio. The OverDrive Media that I had downloaded, that was _not_ downloaded from the library, works fine!

I haven't tried to get ebooks from Digital Library NJ -- but when the Ramsey Library provided a few free sessions on getting ebooks, they simply said that the OverDrive sw would work nicely.

I don't know how your local library has set up OverDrive Media - perhaps they've embedded the credentials in their version of OverDrive - but that would be different that what I've experienced in Ramsey. Speak to the library staff, and ask for the reasons...they may be able to help, or at least provide more information.

Hope this helps a bit.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Device: PlayBook

@allanmack I am a librarian and I provide support regularly for various ereaders and tablets.

I am sure you misunderstood. The app in Appworld is what you need.

The PlayBook app works much like the iPad app. You get books from within the Overdrive app on your tablet. You go to your library ON THE OVERDRIVE APP, and enter your credentials.

After you install Overdrive via App World, open it and swipe down from the top.

Select "more options" "help" "download ebooks"

You don't download adobe digitial editions - you enter your id in the Overdrive settings. Read the help I referenced above.

Overdrive is all you need to open library books on the Playbook.

http://help.overdrive.com/article/2012/03/01/0591/How-to-download-audiobooks-and-eBooks-using-a-Blac...

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
erober
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 64

I know this is strange but while I don't get the Overdrive "add t cart/Proceed to Checkout" page my library (It goes straight to the library's home page) I have found three other libraries where it loads just fine.

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.