Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
propcpal
My Carrier: n/a

USB Charging Problem after performing OS 2.1.0.1032 Update ! Error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

So this morning my 32 Gb Playbook was happily charging attached to my desktop via it's (official BB) micro USB cable.

Next, I perform the OS 2.1.0.1032 update.

All looks well. The update completes and the Playbook reboots.

Immediately after the reboot I notice the Playbook is no longer charging.

Next, I reconnect the Playbook to a different USB port.

Immediatly I get an error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

I then plug the Playbook into multiple computers with two different micro USB cables.

Same result !

Is anyone else seeing this problem ?

This appears to be directly related to this morning's OS update !

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

Re: USB Charging Problem after performing OS 2.1.0.1032 Update ! Error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

[ Edited ]

propcpal wrote:

So this morning my 32 Gb Playbook was happily charging attached to my desktop via it's (official BB) micro USB cable.

Next, I perform the OS 2.1.0.1032 update.

All looks well. The update completes and the Playbook reboots.

Immediately after the reboot I notice the Playbook is no longer charging.

Next, I reconnect the Playbook to a different USB port.

Immediatly I get an error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

I then plug the Playbook into multiple computers with two different micro USB cables.

Same result !

Is anyone else seeing this problem ?

This appears to be directly related to this morning's OS update !

I just tried to connect my PlayBook to my laptop to verify your post and I can confirm this problem (I ususally use the wall charger that shipped with the unit) and very briefly it showed a green battery with a lightning bolt through it in the upper right corner of the interface but then gave me an error too (in the left hand side of the interface) saying "Unable to charge battery with connected source", so ya, it's not charging while connected to the USB port. It did work previously to this update though...the attached screenshot shows this error. Something is not right.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
malie1
My Carrier: Att

Re: USB Charging Problem after performing OS 2.1.0.1032 Update ! Error "Unable to charge battery with connected source"

Mine has never shown the lighting bolt when Using anything but the wall charger it came with. When mine is plugged into a computer via the USB is just shows something that looks like the male end of an extension cord, however I do believe it is charging. Now you guys have me skeptical about the download 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

Ya, well there are some bugs so perhaps wait for a few days. It's up to you. This kind of thing is bound to happen with updates. They did beta test this for a long time though but it's only with mass adoption that all problems can be found.

I don't know if you can't downgrade to an earlier version easily or not so maybe give it a few days until some answers and feedback are offered. This isn't massively problematic or anything to me personally, but it is a bit annoying. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
malie1
My Carrier: Att

The reason I am afraid to download is I think I am one of the few that update 2.0.1.668 actually works with and I know I can't get that version back

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

I see. Good point. Can you charge via USB cable on your OS install?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

malie1 wrote:

Mine has never shown the lighting bolt when Using anything but the wall charger it came with. When mine is plugged into a computer via the USB is just shows something that looks like the male end of an extension cord, however I do believe it is charging. Now you guys have me skeptical about the download 

That happens with Beta 2.1  too.  Wasn't a problem. It additionally warns you that USB is not powerful enough to charge if the playbook is in heavy use. It never did charge on 2.0 but now you get a warning.  And if you let playbook sleep for a while when it wakes up it shows lightening bolt or power plug depending on how much juice the USB has put out. As you use it the warning comes back.  I posted about this somewhere in the last couple of weeks. I assumed it was an improvement and expect it with the new 2.1.

Ok so its not a bug...

You support people are going to get a LOT of people asking about it though. I have already seen it appear in other forums.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

Ha ha you are also as much a support person as any of us.

I posted it originally hslfway down page 2 of.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/playbook-os-2-1-0-840/td-p/1888743/page/2

My Carrier: n/a

Thanks Guys

..looked into this further and indeed this appears to be nothing more than a warning that must have been added in this update.

..the Playbook has always been painfully slow charging over a USB port due to insufficient current available over a USB 2.0 port.

..the only thing that changed is it now gives a warning, but it does in fact still do a very slow charge same as before

..seems the warning might cause more confusion than it's worth :Rolleyes:

Please use plain text.