Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
alexeic87
My Device: Blackberry playbook
My Carrier: Orange

USB Dongle

Hello to everyone. Is it possible to connect and use a broadband USB modem to the playbook thorough data cable? If not, are they any plans to make this feature available? That would be an option for those who have a playbook without LTE/HSUPA modem. Thanks in advance for answers :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: USB Dongle

No, that is not possible at this time. The Playbook was designed to bridge to a BlackBerry device or wifi for Internet access.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

I use the 3 MiFi dongle Huawei E586 which connects by Wifi. You may be able o get an unlocked one from ebay for your Orange but they are not as cheap as if you had a 3 contract (i.e. free with the 15GB a month contract)  I assume you are in UK if you are with Orange?

My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

jarviser wrote:

I use the 3 MiFi dongle Huawei E586 which connects by Wifi. You may be able o get an unlocked one from ebay for your Orange but they are not as cheap as if you had a 3 contract (i.e. free with the 15GB a month contract)  I assume you are in UK if you are with Orange?

True, but it's not via usb cable. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

John_Clark wrote:

jarviser wrote:

True, but it's not via usb cable. 

I agree - you already established that is not possible.  

I was offering a way for PB to use a SIM which I suspect may be behind the question.

No, I'm not in UK :smileyhappy: am somewhere else, in the Republic of Moldova. That's Eastern Europe. I was thinking about a MiFi dongle, but the idea is I already have a contract with a simple USB dongle and that means I have to sign another contract or to by a unlocked MiFi. Another thing about playbook - i don't have it yet, i want to buy it and a BB Bold 9790 :smileyhappy: None of these is available in my country but i will buy it abroad :smileyhappy: Hope I will can do that... I like these devices even if all my friends have android and ios... i don't like that so much...

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadband/wifi/Orange Mobile WiFi  others may be available.

Playbooks are no more than $150 these days. Take care what you pay even for imports.

Also check out android tablets which may have full USB

Ok, thanks. I saw that playbooks are available from 199.99$ is US for the 16GB version and 199.99 euro in Germany. If I would want a android tablet, I would buy it already. But I want something different, with a different functionality. And Playbook is very interessting for me.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

currently cheaper in UK if you can import from them 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/playbook/xx-criteria.html

think 109UKP is about 150 Euros/Dollars

Support may be a problem for any import. Good luck