Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

USB Host BB10?

Hi,

I was wondering if RIM has confirmed the USB host through usb-on-the-go?

Ever since i got my playbook the one thing I was disappointed with was that there was no way to connect any usb audio/midi devices to the playbook.

so, has RIM actually confirmed it will be in BB10? Is it likely we will be able to connect usb audio/midi devices?

I noticed Caustic 2 has the ability on Android devices to connect to midi devices but has no functionality on Playbook, so it shows developers would like to port over their MIDI apps but until RIM enable usb-otg its not going to work.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: USB Host BB10?

Nobody seems to know so far. Hopefully a BB10 dev will read this.

The important thing is does Playbook have the hard wiring to power up a USB device like a Pen Drive, or is the power connection charge only?  What would happen if some klutz plugged in a USB reading light to a USB to MicroUSB adapter?  (What happens now if that was done, anyone know?) 

My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

wireless USB pen drive with a Micro SD slot seem like a great way to go

check it out

http://www.airstash.com/

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

I'm pretty sure people have enabled USB Host on rooted playbook and successfully accessed a USB pen drive. So getting power to the device shouldn't be much of a problem. I really think rim needs to get USB otg and USB audio/midi working to help promote the creative applications of the playbook.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

guess we shall see on Jan 30 or when ever BB10 comes out for playbook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook + Torch 9810
My Carrier: 48505934897

Actually PlayBook does support usb host mode but only with jailbreak- so I guess it does meet the power requirements so it's just a matter of system support on OS10 Smiley Happy

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

Here's a video proving it WAS possible before BlackBerry removed the capability with OS updates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHD-oGXIHEg

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

If you listen carefully he said "with the help of Dingleberry..."  That's jailbreaking.

go to his instructions...

"Well, let’s go to the howto. Things you will need:

- BlackBerry PlayBook

- Root access to your PlayBook (thanks to dingleberry :) )"

My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

jarviser wrote:

If you listen carefully he said "with the help of Dingleberry..."  That's jailbreaking.

go to his instructions...

"Well, let’s go to the howto. Things you will need:

- BlackBerry PlayBook

- Root access to your PlayBook (thanks to dingleberry :) )"

If your point was that thanks to a 3rd party piece of software called Dingleberry to get Root Access to the PlayBook, mine was that there WAS a time that indeed you could accomplish this but it has subequently been removed by BlackBerry due to them cluing in and plugging the potential security holes with OS updates. In more simple terms, it doesn't work any longer and unless BlackBerry enables this in future, we're not going to get official USBOTG capabilities unless a hacker figures another method.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Yes I agree, dingleberry will not load on OS 2.1 but people can force in older OS 1.x  then it will load.