Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
mambomike
My Device: playbook 64gig
My Carrier: o2

Unable to boot-update error

Help...I have a big problem  with my 2.1 beta Playbook not booting, it locked up on me after trying to access the Appworld and I've been unable to bring it back to life no matter what. I've tried the various reset procedures and charging with both the USB and desktop fast charger...no luck. Using the PC DeskTop manager results in the playbook recognized, I get offered the 2.01.358 update which of course I select, I wait 30-45 minutes as it downloads the update, tries to install the update then the Desktop manager comes up with an unspecified error A:0x00000049, whatever that means. This is not the first time I've had to rescue the playbook through resetting/updating, but I've always been successful before and I'm a bit fed up of going through this procedure every time. Any help would be appreciated Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Unable to boot-update error

Try this. Plug it in to your charger and give it the three button reset. Hold down the Power Button and both volume buttons at the same time for 15 seconds and then wait 1 minute then hold the power button only until the red light flashes then release it and wait for the PB to reboot which will be about 4 minutes.
When you hold down the Power Button only, make note of any light activity. The red led should come on for about 4 seconds, go off for about 5 seconds and then the BlackBerry PlayBook logo should come on the screen beginning the boot process. If this does not work, wait a few minutes and repeat the process.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mambomike

Thanks for the reply, just tried that, after the three button reset, holding the power button results in the red led flashing twice,
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

The following is from KB26748.
When attempting to power on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, only a red flashing LED is displayed in the sequence of blink, blink pause and then repeats.

Update to BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 using BlackBerry Desktop Software. See workaround for more information.

Update the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS using BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 6.0.2 or later:

It may take up to an hour to complete the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS update. During that time, do not disconnect the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet from the computer.

1. Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to a computer running BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.2 or later.
2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Update

To download an update, click Get Update
To view other available versions of the BlackBerry® PlayBook Tablet OS software, click View other versions. If applicable, select another version. Click Install.
3. To receive an email when an updated version of BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS is available, check the box Email me when new versions are available.
4. Click Install update.

After the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS update is complete, disconnect the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet from the computer.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mambomike

Thanks again for the reply, yep tried that too at least 6 times, the DM software downloads the update , tries to install and gives up with "unspecified error A:0x00000049".  I assume it's corrupt OS , and wonder whether it's to do with it being the developer beta version all I know it's giving me a headache

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Google PlayBook Knowledge Base. In the search box enter Unable to Boot. Read some of the articles presented. They may give you some assistance.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mambomike

Ok will do and thanks again

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mambomike

Ok here we go again, I left the playbook updating for the 7th time and this time it seems to have completed the update, battery is totally flat, and when I try to power up the lightning symbol is shown then it goes off and the green led is cycling hopefully charging up...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mambomike

yep its back to the welcome/setup screen and 1% battery. there has to be an easier way.. there must have been loads of people sent playbooks back thinking they are faulty
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Leave it charge for 6 or 8 hours.
Please use plain text.