Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: att

Unknown Error (EC) blackberry.com sign in

Well I suppose I was actually stupid enough to install McAfee (no offense to anyone using that one but it's nothing but trrouble for me) and ever since that install, websites and applications on my computer have been nearly

impenetrable

I'm trying to sign in on the blackberry app world account information page so I can change my payment information.  I am continuously recieving the error message:  Unknown Error Occurred (EC) which I have been told in this forum means that my computer security or fire wall is blocking it somehow. 

I've uninstalled it, turned off every form of security on my computer, disabled all browser plugins and extensions, shut down every known security measure Windows 7 offers backstage including the firewall in Windows and in the router... and I still cannot login to my blackberry account on this site in an effort to update my payment information.  I've even specifically gone into the security settings in Windows and added the https:\\ for such sign in access.

It has to be that @#$#^ security program locking me out of every legitimate function on this computer while leting every threat available right on through but even after installing and running their MCPR (McAfee Comsumer Program Removal tool which literally wipes out even the smallest symplance of lingering rubish that might remotely be related to McAfee I still cannot sign in.  I've even changed my sign in password with Blackberry and still get the same error.

Any other ideas on what could be causing this frustrating mess before I literally have to restore Windows back to a point before the program was installed?

Surely you can sense how frustrated I am.  If I cannot change this payment informtion, my days of purchasing apps for the tablet is over.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Teksavvy

Re: Unknown Error (EC) blackberry.com sign in

What device are you using? A BlackBerry Phone or PlayBook? I don't think it is possible to install antivirus software on any of them
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I agree with Let at Sea. There are no anti virus software out for the Playbook. For the phone there is smartguard that has anti virus and anti spam as part of the program.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry, there seems to be significant misunderstanding here but both of you. 

I am having no problem with the Playbook It wasn't even connected. 

I am talking about signing into Blackberry.com App World page using my hp pavilian laptop, that you sign into so as to update your profile and payment options so you can purchase apps to begin with.  This cannot be done using the tablet itself as I've been told (or that's been my experience) so I sign into Blackberry.com on my Windows 7 Home Premium, HP dv7 laptop to make such changes to my account. 

My laptop antivirus (McAfee) blocked any and every efford to all efforts to sign into the site and there are mulipule ways that it does this, so.... I unistalled, stripped and deleted any and all traces of this anti-virus solfware including disabling the McAfee add ons and extensions it installs in your web browsers, and now... as of today, I've even gone through and restored my computer back to the point before McAfee was even installed. 

This consistent dilemma might well be a write in on the registry by this program and it is risky to seek and remove anything from the registry.  Even specific programs made to do such things can and have really caused trouble for users.

When I use the PLAYBOOK, I don't need to login until I choose to "purchase" an app at which time it seeks to "authenticate" my payment method and approve the transaction, and there I recieve the typical error 11400 which was what prompted me to change my payment option on blackberry's website using the laptop to begin with. 

It's the Laptop's access to blackberry.com by using my firefox browser (as always)  in Blackberry.com's App World that is prompting the Unknow Error (ec) error message which indicates some form of computer security (typically a system/anti-virus/or router firewall blocked site or action) that is causing this signin failure.  But if all forms of security on this PC (Windows builtin security and McAfee software) and the router securitys have been removed, what else could it possibly be that is preventing me from signing into blackberry.com's site on the PC to make payment changes? 

That's the question.  I apologise for not specifying that it was the PC accessing blackberry.com rather than the tablet.   I used the tablet community forum because there doesn't seem to be a Blackberry's website forum or a computer security forum.  According to McAfee... once the software is completely removed, problem should be resolved but I've seen this in programs like AOL and NORTON (although Norton got tired of hearing complaits and helped resolve that issue) and anyone familiar with AOL is probably familiar with their mode of operation which means that program (like these others) spin their tenticles thoughtout your system making it near impossible to rid your system of that application entirely.  Sorry for the rant.  I just want to change my payment options in my Blackberry account so I can buy apps on the tablet. 

Maybe there's an alternate route to make payment changes??? Possibly?

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having the same issue.  I try to log in to blackberry.com and keep getting an unknown error

I can log in through my playbook and my phone, but cannot log in through my browser.

Has there been any resolution?

Contributor

Not exactly.  I've spent many a-hour on the phone with some wonderful techs, including having been esccelated and the sense I was getting was that this "An Unknown Error Has Ocurred (EC)" is a rare with an unfamiliar fix.  I did manage to get through when I turned the wi-fi off on my device.  Not sure if that was the trick or a fluck but give it a shot.  When I was able to get through, the only options were to either logout or view/alter profile info (general info... no payment options).  The payment options, I've used the Playbook to alter.

Good luck and if you find this info is not the trick and maybe find what is... pass it on in case this happens to me again.  Very frustrating.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

When you said "turned the wi-fi off on my device" did you mean the playbook?

Edit**

Tried that, and got as far as you did.  I notice I get farther if I browse to a app first, then try to log in to download.  That's as far as I've gotten though.

Contributor

Yes, I was referring to the Playbook.  There was some suggestion that if I had the Playbook plugged into the laptop via USB while having the Playbook's wi-fi on, some form of conflict might be the culprit but honestly, I don't know.  I'm an old-timer in the computer operation world and to be honest, this newer technology (ie smartphones and tablets) are still a bit of a mystery to me.  For instance, I'm so used to working backstage in Windows to tweak every single action or function I want to match my personal needs and yet these operations simply don't seem to exist on these new devices.

To be honest, I am weary of that fact.  For instance... if you are on wi-fi on the tablet or phone and connceted a computer, what's to stop the tablet from getting viruses or malware?  I simply don't understand their workings just yet so if this notion of turning wi-fi off on the tablet resolved it in reality, it's a complete mystery to me as to how that's true.  On any typical wi-fi "computer" network, it is VERY unlikely every computer on the network would get infected unless the admin is just careless enough to have no form of terminal security installed.  I'm sure that's happened before too though.

Listen... during this same troubleshooting efforts that did finally get me logged in to blackberry.com, I was also told that I did not need to access that account on their site to retrieve any stored apps I may have already bought but I fail to accept that completely.  He explained (which I had already presumed) that all of my apps; bought or free were found in my accessible App World on the tablet but so far... I've run into 3 apps that I found during a search (Not in "My World") that asked me to "reinstall" because they weren't in my world on the tablet.  Maybe a few small bugs linger still.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Same error here. It's been frustrating to say the least, trying to get support on this issue. However, I just wrapped a call with Blackberry support and gave them all my information including sending them a "Report" directly from the Playbook. The supervisor stated that their software developers were going to review the data and have a resolution soon.  I'll keep you all posted.

New Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: 07879089629

Even I'm facing the same problem. Whenever I click download button in appworld after logging in it says An Unknown Error Occurred (EC) To return to the home page please click here.

I'm so irritated because of this issue , I cannot download anything from app world to my phone when I connect it to my laptop. I can only download through wifi network.

Hope to see a solution soon

thank you.