Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Graham123
My Device: Playbook 32Gb v2.1.0.1032
My Carrier: rogers

Unwanted Hibernation - need OS update

We are all VERY disappointed at being misled by no less than the CEO of RIM about BB10 coming to the Playbook. 

One annoyance for me, is that the PB goes to sleep after 5 minutes. This happens even when connected to a power source. As a result, any app that requires a full screen display will go blank after 5 minutes.

One app that  I purchased last year, is a marine navigation chart display app. called Nautical Charts ( I don't have one for PB , but it would be similar to a car gps). Well, it is almost useless if it hibernates every 5 minutes. I asked the developer, and he said that he was developing the BB10 version. He confirmed that the unwanted hibernation does not occur with BB10. However, he says that BB has told him that the max 5min hibernation is built into the OS and it can't be changed.If he is wrong and there is something he could add to his app to prevent hibernation when powered, please advise.

Surely, there is no reason for this other than poor OS design. Even my iPaq PPC from 12 or 3 years ago allowed user to set power saving time to whatever they wanted including disabling it when connected to power source.

I am sure BB knows of many other small annoyances that users would like a fix for.

It would seem to me that that BB could to some extent offset the massive backlash they are seeing from PB owners, by issuing an update to the PB OS. BB10 would be best, but something in-between should surely be possible?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,883
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unwanted Hibernation - need OS update

There is an app called Battery Guru, which includes a "keep awake" feature, you might consider using. The app developers do have the ability to add this function, just as it was in Battery Guru. Yea, small cost for the app, but on it's on it is a worthwhile app to have on your PlayBook.

So, I'd get BG, and also let the other developer know it's possible.

Since you brought it up... I don't believe Heins intentionally misled anyone. He sincerely intended to provide a BB10 update to the PlayBook, and found it was not possible for the user experience and quality he also stated he intended to maintain. Therefore, a conflict was in place and he had to make a decision a) provide a crappy user experience or b) reverse himself on the promise. A hard to decision to make, I am disappointed as well. And I must move on.

And, since that is not the point of your thread, can we agree to disagree on that point?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Graham123

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response.

I followed your advice and purchased Battery Guru. That was a mistake!

Battery Guru will only keep the PB awake if it is both active and visible.  As I mentioned in my original post, the nautical navigation app (that I purchased on BB world) needs to display a full screen. How could I have Battery Guru visible if the app I am using is full screen?

I will contact the app developer, but what should I tell him BB suggests he add to his app so as to keep it alive? I do recall seeing some lines of code somewhere on the forums, but can't recall where. This is the app website along with contact information: http://www.gpsnauticalcharts.com/main/nautical-charts-hd-playbook

Funny thing - I used this app last year and don't recall it hibernating. There have been several updates since. I thought that the constant updating of gps position was keeping ita alive, but apparently not.

Re the other matter, I am sure the sequence of events was as you describe. But a CEO should not promise something before he knows his company can deliver. And even then, when he finds out they cannot deliver, being more open and apologizing might have been in order. As a shareholder, i don't want to see BB fail - that is why I am even more concerned about the backlash you and I read about on the web.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,883
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Oops sorry. My bad, I apologize, I was certain that would work for you.

Let me ask a friend.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

[ Edited ]

I am using Osmand navigator app. I experience the same problem with auto shut down. 

It is really annoying.  The. Av app. on my Nokia phone is smart enough to know that when it is plugged in, it does not shot down.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

godot2011 wrote:

I am using Osmand navigator app. I experience the same problem with auto shut down. 

It is really annoying.  The. Av app. on my Nokia phone is smart enough to know that when it is plugged in, it does not shot down.

I use Magelan Compas, and it does keep the screen alive when it is full screen (as a side note so does Blaq if configure to do so), and the power drain is not so bad for having a GPS and full screen app on

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Graham123

If Magellan and Blaq and battery Guru and several other apps are able to keep PB awake, then presumably Nautical Charts (the app I am trying to use) should be able to too. 

According to the developer, RIM corrected the hibernation problem in BB10 and developers, like most of us, believed Heins  when he said BB10 would also be coming to the PB. As a result, there was no reason for them to try and correct the hibernation problem in their own apps.

So basically, those of us with PBs have been cast adrift with no means of navigation :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mh1983
My Device: Playbook Wi-Fi 16 gb
My Carrier: Telus

A possible workaround would be to install the SilentNoise app. I read that recommendation in a CB forum post; unfortunately, haven't tried it myself, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Graham123

I will have a look at the silent noise app, but I suspect that like most apps that are able to stay awake, it too will hav eto be visible. If Nautical Charts is full scree, it no doubt will still hibernate. I tried several apps that are designed to stay awake and with all of them running, Nautical charts still causes the PB to hivernate if it is full screen.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
sarah75
My Device: Playbook

Graham123 wrote:

I will have a look at the silent noise app, but I suspect that like most apps that are able to stay awake, it too will hav eto be visible. If Nautical Charts is full scree, it no doubt will still hibernate. I tried several apps that are designed to stay awake and with all of them running, Nautical charts still causes the PB to hivernate if it is full screen.

You are right. To have any app full screen and have the screen stay on more than five minutes, the app itself must have the no-hibernate code. No app in the background will keep playbook screen on, even with showcase enabled.

The nautical app developer obviously does not have that knowledge. 

Sarah.
Please use plain text.