Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
sedge12
My Device: playbook 16gb
My Carrier: rogers
Accepted Solution

Update

After installing the latest update on my playbook, I lost all of my contacts. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Update

We're these contacts linked to an email account and sync over the air or were they local only to the playbook? 

If linked to an online account they should reappear after a while as the device syncs. 

If local only, did you perform a backup prior to updating? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sedge12
My Device: playbook 16gb
My Carrier: rogers

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have done a  backup, although I don't ever remember it saying to make sure to do a backup before the update. Thanks again, will back up from here on in.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Vhale
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: At&t

Good evening. 

I just completed the update last night / this morning.  As a simple consumer and not an IT person in any way, I should NOT have to research an update from a trusted source to see if I will be doing the blog of shame the next day.  The update should be thoroughly researched and tested prior to publishing it.   I saw the reply from the original poster stating that (s)he didn't see a prompt to back up the device prior to updating.  I can tell you that it did not tell me to back up anything!  It only said that my phone would not be available for up to 2 hours.  I do back up my phone on a regular basis, thank goodness for that.  However, I can tell you that, at this point, this is my third and final BB device.  I had a Pearl and fell in love.  I then upgraded to the Torch and, still in love with BB, noticed some not so desirable issues.  Earlier this year I upgraded to the new Torch, thinking it would resolve the glitches.  I was wrong.  I'm not sure what's worse...the phone locking up, restarting on it's own, doubling my contacts every time I can actually sync it or having my desktop software fail to sync with my ATT.net contacts, calendar, tasks or   memos.  Now the 'New' desktop doesn't let me choose anything other than Outlook to sync to...did all of the other e-mail / organizer options just disappear?

I am an intelligent person.  I run a consulting & supplies firm.  As stated prior, I am NOT an IT person; I am a user of IT Products.  For as much as I (the general public) spends on technology (mobile phones, tablets, laptops and PC's), I should be able to trust a 'reliable' company like RIM / BB.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Vhale, I'm not an IT person - I am purely a user of IT products like yourself, however I've always been brought up that however safe an upgrade process is, you ALWAYS backup first should anything go wrong. It's just good practice. 

Have you spoken to AT&T regarding the issues you are having with your new Torch? They are your official line into RIM for any issues you are facing. 

Regarding laxk of sync options, what program other than Outlook do you want to sync your device with? Desktop Manager from memory only offers you the options related to what is installed on your machine? 

Please use plain text.