Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
RichardAlpha
My Device: Playbook

Updating/Setting up multiple Playbooks

Hello all,

I have recently purchased 18 64GB Playbooks for my company and I want to update them with the latest software before I give them to staff.  I am looking for a method in which I can have the latest software installed locally on my computer so when I plug each one in to setup it doesn't have to download the update data  from the internet everytime.  When I update Blackberry phones I can install the update file locally and use the Blackberry Manager to update each phone with no problem.

Can anyone help or come up with another method to easily do this?

Kind Regards,

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Updating/Setting up multiple Playbooks

They usually want to check each Playbook's serial against blacklists of non-shipped (stolen or fake) units before allowing setup. If you are looking for a Microsoft Gold Licence type of unattended setup I don't think they do it. 

In any case if your broadband router will accept ten wifi connections you can set up ten at a time, must be quicker. 

My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

if your PlayBook devices are ruled by the BES, I remember that you can push BES apps.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
RichardAlpha

Thanks for the replys, but I don't want to do an unatended setup, just update the OS software on each one, but rather then download the OS install file each time, have it installed on my computer and update through Blackberry Desktop Software.  This works perfectly for Blackberry phones, but I cannot find the install for Playbooks

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

RichardAlpha wrote:

Thanks for the replys, but I don't want to do an unatended setup, just update the OS software on each one, but rather then download the OS install file each time, have it installed on my computer and update through Blackberry Desktop Software.  This works perfectly for Blackberry phones, but I cannot find the install for Playbooks

if that were possible and such loads existed, we would have stored older versions for people to regress when upgrades cause alleged problems....but we cant without rooting/jaibreaking the playbook and that's Crackberry.com's territory.

unless some bright dev creates an app??

Thanks for the reply, I just presumed as Blackberry phones do exactly this, it may be possible to do it with the Playbook.  Christ knows what companies do that have 100+ playbooks to setup

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

I think the concept that everyone needs their device set up by the IT department is one that will change as we move away from the concept of corporate software bundles.

The 100 staff can each set their own up with their BB ID and password on receipt of the Playbook in half an hour and they don't then have the (almost) impossible task of trying to change the BBID password on receipt from the IT department which most companies would require.