Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: playbook

Re: Upgraded Playbook to 2.0.1.358 and can no longer sync with PC

Do not despair. So after the latest update connection via usb is impossible, but is still exist wi-fi. See the link http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Failed-to-tablet-initialization/td-p/1683... Yesterday I've used this smart advice and problem was resolved. I understand that this decision doesn't replace the need for RIM resolve the problem with the USB and also check updates more correct and carefully in future, so as not to cause damage to users, but if someone needs a data exchange with the tablet, it can use this approach.

Contributor
My Device: playbook

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

Can your laptop see the drive Z in Explorer? You may have to Map your network.
Step 1: Make sure your Playbook is connected to Wifi.

Step 2: On your Playbook, go to Storage and Sharing and enable File Sharing and Wifi Sharing. You can enable a password if you want. I didn’t bother.

Step 3: On your Playbook, go to about and select the network tab. Take note of your IP address (IPv4). It’ll be something like 192.122.2.1. Sorry that I redacted my IP address, I’m sure you understand

Step 4: On your computer, click on the top bar and type your Playbook’s IP address. Notice that there is a \\ before the IP address; you MUST include this.

From here you can browse the file on your Playbook (media folder). Taking the next steps will make you a nifty shortcut in your Computer folder with the fill bar. Basically, easy access; you don’t ever have to remember your IP address or type it in the navigation bar again.

Step 5: Right click on the media folder and select “Map Network drive…”

Step 6: Assign a Drive Letter (whatever you want, it doesn’t matter. I used P for Playbook). Click Finish.

Step 7: Have a glass of lemonade, and reflect on how cool it is that you can access your Playbook over WiFi quickly and easily by just clicking on the icon in your Computer directory.

You can browse the files on your Playbook now by clicking the Network Location. You can easily copy files to and from it whenever you want. You can also change the drive name by right-clicking it and selecting “Rename.”
You can also connect any number of PlayBooks to you network, along with memory sticks and see all files on all devices and you can drag files anywhere you want.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: curve 9330/Playbook

[ Edited ]

Great advise...  Opens up another series of options and uses along with data movement and management. It doesn't replace being able to sync but provides easier flexibility then I was using before.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

I also was able to manually map my Playbook to a "P" drive on my PC.  But file transfer takes forever. It is not fair to call this a solution to not being able to use BB Media Sync.

I went back again to solving the connection problem to BB DM.  I still wasn't able to install a driver. Nothing was visible under Device Manager/Network Adapter and my PC could not find a driver on the internet.  BB said it would install automatically but it didn't.  So I did a hard reset my PB h/w AND s/w. Warning: Don't reset the s/w unless you are willing to lose all stored data or unless you are backed up.

As I went through the original PB se-up again (I was connected to my PC by USB) my PC gave me the message option of running the device setup.exe.  I ran that and it reinstalled the Device Manager on my PC. I had previously uninstalled it last night but couldn't get it back until now.  Device Manager also gave me messages that the driver for PB had now been reinstalled.  When I checked that fact in Control Panel/Device Manager/Network Adapter it listed the PB but said the driver wasn't installed. So from there I chose "reinstall" and the driver then successfully showed as installed as a network adapter on my PC.  

Great. I thought that all this was going to help. I had reinstalled everything on my PB and PC. No luck. After 4 hours I was back to square one. Actually a bit worse.  BB Desktop Manager now says "Blackberry Desktop Manager cannot communicate with the connected device".  BB Device Manager shows my PB as connected but it actually shows two are connected!   One it calls Playbook (0) and the other Playbook (my correct device ID).  When I disconnect my Playbook the 2nd device dispappears but the Device Manager says the first is still running when nothing is connected either by USB or Wifi. Very confusing.

I'm open to suggestions. Afer twenty hours of trying I still can't connect to BB DM.

Misc. notes: When connecting by USB my PB Wifi is turned "off".  PB USB connection is forced to Windows. PB File sharing is on.  

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Andrewla wrote:

I upgraded to the latest software version for the PlayBook via wi-fi. I had no issues until I attempted to sync my PB with my pc to copy over pictures and videos from my PB. I do this sync about every 3 weeks or so. When I first plugged in the Playbook to my pc (Sony Vaio w/ Windows 7) I received a message about drivers being installed. When my Playbook was acknowledged by  BB Desktop Manager it incorrectly read that my PB software version was 0.0.0.0 and prompted me to upgrade. I downloaded and installed the software (again). All looked successful again, however when I attempted to access the Media Sync options I received a message that "media services are not available" and that "your blackberry device is not compatible with this features". Now, when I connect my PB to my pc via USB cable it does not even trigger DM to open. If I manually open DM then it recognizes that a PB is connected and starts a full back up. If I let the back up complete then it triggers me to do an update to the latest software version (which I already have installed but DM continually shows that my PB software version is 0.0.0.0). If I install the upgrade as instructed then I am prompted to disconnect and reboot the PB. When I do this loop starts all over again. A full back up starts and I am prompted again after that to install the latest PB software. How do I get out of this loop and back to being able to sync all my media from my PB to my pc. Also, when I have my PB connected and I look at Windows Explorer, it does not list my PB as a drive. However, if my PB is connected to my wi-fi network I can see it on the network. I copied my pictures/videos via the network (turned on sharing on the PB) as a workaround but this is not how I wanted to manage my file transfers. PLEASE HELP. I spent all day yesterday googling for answers and similar experiences by others and I don't know how to fix this. I am tempted to create an incident request with Blackberry/RIM to resolve this but thought I would try here first. Appreciate any responses.  

With your playbook disconnected, uninstall your Device Manager from Windows 7. This is different than Desktop Software. Once you have DM uninstalled reboot your computer. Now plug your playbook in. Now you should see the PlayBook CD-ROM. In that CD-ROM is version 7 of DM (again, I am speaking on Device Manager here, not Desktop Software). Install DM v7. Once installed you will need to unplug your playbook, count to 5, then plug it back in. It will go through the DM device setup then you should have the 'z' drive show up.

Note: If you have Desktop Software configured to auto start when the PlayBook is plugged in, shut it down until you have the new version of DM installed.

Once DM v7 is installed and you see the 'z' drive you can run the Desktop Software. Now it should show the correct software version and not ask to update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Sailsguy wrote:

Desktop Manager 7.0211 (Bundel 38)

Installed components listed:

Blackberry Device Manager 6.0.0.40

BBDevMgr 4.2.0.15

RIM USB Driver 4.2.0.14

RIM USB Serial Driver 2.3.0.9

Playbook RNDIS Driver Interface 1.0.0.16

Application loader 6.0.1.33

You need to upgrade Device Manager to version 7. See my earlier post in this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Contributor

If you are running windows, remember to reboot after uninstalling DM and keep your PB unplugged until after the reboot. If you just uninstall DM then plug your PB back in you will still have issues.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860

Piper Dog,
I can do the file transfers much faster than through the DM and that is via wifi. You may have some other problem.
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, Playbook 64GB

Sailsguy wrote:

Desktop Manager 7.0211 (Bundel 38)

Installed components listed:

Blackberry Device Manager 6.0.0.40

BBDevMgr 4.2.0.15

RIM USB Driver 4.2.0.14

RIM USB Serial Driver 2.3.0.9

Playbook RNDIS Driver Interface 1.0.0.16

Application loader 6.0.1.33

You need to upgrade Device Manager to version 7. See my earlier post in this thread.

I too am having the same issue.  After updating to OS 2.0.1.358, I am unable to sync with my PC via USB.  I am uninstalled both Device Manager & Desktop Manager.  When I reconnect the PB to my PC (via USB), I am prompted to install "drivers".  Upon completion, the PB does connect to the PC according to the Device Manager.  However, I see that Blackberry Device Manager 6.0.0.40 has been installed (not version 7 as you have indicated).

Is there another source where I can download a copy of the drivers/executable files to install Device Manager ver 7?