Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
DawnOfFire
My Device: PlayBook (32 gig) and Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

Upset and not impressed

First, I want to say that after spending two months researching all of the tablets that are available, plus the upcoming ones, I finally settled on the Playbook because it seemed to be the best tablet out there. The promises of the Android apps as well as having the BB apps made the choice easier, as I love diversity.

BUT...

1. The phone tech support leaves something to be desired. I have called in a few times since I got the Playbook on the 19th and have found the staff to be... less than knowledgeable about the general workings of the Playbook. They need more training,Playbooks of their own, or at least an online emulator so they can follow along with the customer as they click on things.
  2. I realize the Apps are coming...How about some better screening of the ones that are there? Most of what I have found are set up for ages between 4 and 12 year olds - there is no way anyone in there right mind is going to hand a $700 tablet to someone that age to play with. Tap-a-sketch? Come on! This is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL GRADE tablet. Let's see some applications to go along with that!
  3. There is very little choice of music in the music store side of things - is the licensing that hard to get? Every time that I have transferred mp3s on to the PB, at number of the files get corrupted and will not play properly. They play absolutely fine on my computer before the transfer...
  4. Ebooks - How about an application that can do some of the ones that I already have? I know this has been raised in another thread -- some people like myself have some very extensive libraries of eBooks that have not been bought from Kobo. It would be wonderful to be able to read them on my PaperWeight.
  5. Why are all the apps so expensive? Does it really take that much more to program them in comparison to the... Other guys?
  6. Folders / file explorer - need I say more?

Things that I love about the PB:

1. The size! I have small hands and arthritis. Easy for me to hold.
  2. The rubber backing -- actually makes me feel like I am holding on to something
  3. Speed - the processing speed is amazing for this little thing
  4. Screen clarity - HD - nothing more to say except WOW!
  5. Battery life - fantastic! No issues there at all!
  6. Camera - Takes some great photos (would love to see an app that can do effects right on the PB)
  7. Sound - again for something so small it really has some decent sound

Both good and bad -- I would love to have some those bad things answered -- I have already talked my son into putting his programming cap back on and try to make us some apps.

Honestly, the iPhone was the spouse's idea!
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Re: Upset and not impressed

I am upset you are upset. However, I think the best solution is not to be upset. On a personal and professional note,its thanks to the BlackBerry PlayBook, I have gotten more done, in less time and more impact since April 19th, 2011.

Enough said...:Batman:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire

[ Edited ]

Removing this post - contained no information that was needed to address this issue.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb

greenback wrote:

I am upset you are upset. However, I think the best solution is not to be upset. On a personal and professional note,its thanks to the BlackBerry PlayBook, I have gotten more done, in less time and more impact since April 19th, 2011.

Enough said...:Batman:

This comment does nothing to make someone less upset.  I'm on Dawn's side here.  Since buying this tablet on April 19, I have wasted a lot of time trying on RIM's support line (5 calls, at least 30 minutes each, one as long as an hour), sifting through forums like this one trying to figure out why critical features are missing.  AppWorld is a joke.  I'm not expecting a lot of apps to be there yet, but the calibre of apps available so far is just embarrassing.  These are the apps that developers wrote just to get a free Playbook.  I can't believe RIM was willing to hand out tablets for some of that **bleep**.  There are a few good apps, but not many that are even remotely productive.

This is supposed to be a professional tablet.  There is absolutely nothing about this tablet that makes it professional.... Yet...  I know more apps are coming and I know it's an excellent piece of hardware, but to say that Dawn shouldn't be upset just because the Playbook has made you more productive... It's like you're trying to incite a riot.

RIM has screwed up the launch of the Playbook big time.  To a lot of people, it's just useless.  And a lot of those people are going to tell other people that it's useless.

And I still can't believe that RIM thinks it's ok to sell a tablet that has 64 Gb of storage without support for directories?  Whoever made that decision needs to be fired.  That was a very stupid decision.

I'm hanging on to my Playbook, but there's no way I'm sugar coating the fact that the Playbook is nowhere near ready for mainstream users yet.

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

I do not believe I expressed any opinions in my prior post. Please do not personally attack me. I did not personally attack you. I simply responded to your statement.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi there,

If you would like us to assist, please let us know the following information:

1. What software version is installed?
2. How are you trying to transfer your media (e.g. are you syncing it using the BlackBerry Desktop Software or are you loading them using Windows Explorer)?

With regards to your comments about the music store or the Kobo eBookstore, if you are not satisfied with your selection, consider sending a message to the stores with your concern. If you have other eBooks, you can also check to see if you can find the apps for those. Kobo is preinstalled, but that doesn't mean you are restricted just to Kobo eBooks.

With regards to apps, remember that this is a new platform and more and more quality apps will be coming as people adopt the BlackBerry PlayBook, and now that app developers can test their apps on the actual device, they will be able to make improvements.

Hopefully we can help resolve your actual issues, and hopefully you'll find a lot more content sooner rather than later.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire

[ Edited ]

{{ removing this part of the post as it has no place on the board }}

Krypto has asked me to elaborate and maybe help me find solutions to my issues rather than incite an arguement that has no place on a public message board.

Greenback: If you wish do take our conversation further, plse send your reply via PM rather than showing the whole world how much you disagree with my statements.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
NovusPic
My Device: None! It's a piece of s**t and I took it back to the store!

Greenback, are you for real? Nobody ATTACKED you or got personal. They simply pointed out how inept you are at "customer support".

Hi, Honda? I bought this accord, and the wheel fell off. I'm not happy with it, and I feel like I was mislead about how "great" your product is!"

"Really? Well. The best way to avoid being upset  is to NOT BE UPSET. Because MY accord works a peach, and I get great mileage! Thanks for calling!"

Do you have ANY idea how rediculous that sounds?

As for Dawn.. I'm with you 1000%. I do like the things you listed though, for all the same reasons. Good post!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire

Kyrpto asked:

If you would like us to assist, please let us know the following information:
1. What software version is installed? OS is 1.0.3.1868 // MP3 Player- the default music player installed with the OS

2. How are you trying to transfer your media (e.g. are you syncing it using the BlackBerry Desktop Software or are you loading them using Windows Explorer)? The MP3s were transferred to the PB using the Desktop Software

With regards to your comments about the music store or the Kobo eBookstore, if you are not satisfied with your selection, consider sending a message to the stores with your concern. If you have other eBooks, you can also check to see if you can find the apps for those. Kobo is preinstalled, but that doesn't mean you are restricted just to Kobo eBooks. Definitely understand that there is no restriction on the app being used for the eBooks, and yes, I could convert them to PDFs to read them, but in my opinion it would have been a better choice by BB to use a default ereader that would be able to use other ebooks as well as the ones that could be purchased right from the store. It was this exact restriction by Kobo that prompted me return the Kobo eReader back to Chapters for a full refund -- and then do the research on the tablets, which led to my purchase of the PB.

In regards to the music (or rather lack of) in the store, I would have thought that BB would take ownership of a complaint about one of the default apps without me having to contact the 'store' directly. BB is the one that chose these apps to represent the company by default. I don't feel that it is up to me to chase down the manufacturer of the processor to complain about it, how is this 'default' app any different?

With regards to apps, remember that this is a new platform and more and more quality apps will be coming as people adopt the BlackBerry PlayBook, and now that app developers can test their apps on the actual device, they will be able to make improvements.

Yes, I agree with you on this statement. The other apps will come in time, but after seeing the caliber of the apps in the store right now, I am hardly feeling a lot of confidence that the upcoming ones will be any better. To quote Quila467: AppWorld is a joke. I'm not expecting a lot of apps to be there yet, but the caliber of apps available so far is just embarrassing. These are the apps that developers wrote just to get a free Playbook. I can't believe RIM was willing to hand out tablets for some of that **bleep**. Screening the apps a little more closely would raise our confidence as consumers that BB is in this game to win.

Hopefully we can help resolve your actual issues, and hopefully you'll find a lot more content sooner rather than later

Me too!!!

Please use plain text.
dany_s
My Device: .

Topic re-opened.

Please remember to keep your conversation respectful, take personal debates to PM and stay on topic.

Thank you

Dany_S                                                                                                                                New to the Community click here  
Community Moderator
Likes2.png    AS3.png    CG2.png

Please use plain text.