Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
DawnOfFire
My Device: PlayBook (32 gig) and Curve 9300
My Carrier: Telus - through WiFi and via my Curve 9300 (and the spouse's iPhone on occasion)

Re: Upset and not impressed

[ Edited ]

Thanks Dany! I see you already killed the other thread I started to try to get the original issues resolved.

Honestly, the iPhone was the spouse's idea!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire
My Carrier: Telus - through WiFi and via my Curve 9300 (and the spouse's iPhone on occasion)

Well - I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with tech support last nightadn found out that the possible reason for the corrupted / unplayable music files was a simple matter of wrong format (they were m4a's not mp3's). I will take those m4a files and convert them to mp3s to and then try the transfer again to see if they get corrupted as well.

Interesting thing is that the m4a format is actually a video format according to the knowledge base, and those are playable by the PlayBook.

Here is the knowledge base article: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26136

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

mp3 = MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 audio layer III  (not MPEG-3)

mp4 = MPEG-4 multimedia container format (can include video and audio)

m4a = audio only MPEG-4, unprotected

m4p = audio only MPEG-4, protected with FairPlay DRM

m4a is not a video format, but it is based on a format that can contain video.  RIM is incorrect in assuming that m4a is a video file.

That said, I've had some challenges with the music player on the Playbook.  It seems to keep it's own index of files somewhere that is fairly easy to corrupt.  I've had multiple copies of the same song show up in the media player even though only one copy of the song was copied to the Playbook.  The extra copies listed in the media player wouldn't actually play.  I ended up doing a security wipe to correct that.  I think this happens when you copy media files to the Playbook while the media player is open.  I usually reboot the Playbook and copy the media files before doing anything on the Playbook and haven't had any corruption issues since doing that.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire

Tried to do a full backup of the playbook using the desktop software, got errors and it would not complete (tried several times). Apparently this is a known issue and is under investigation, supposed to be fixed in the next software update.

If I do the security wipe on the PB - how do I get all my apps back on? Do I have to write them all down and then redownload them?
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Apps backup probably doesn't work.  I've already posted my thoughts on that in another thread and I don't really want to repeat myself for fear of sounding like a conspiracy theorist.  :smileyhappy:

If you do a security wipe, App World will remember which apps you installed and/or purchased.  Just go into App World, then into My World and then Uninstalled.  All of the apps that you had previously installed will be listed and you will be able to reinstall them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire

Quila467 said:

Apps backup probably doesn't work. I've already posted my thoughts on that in another thread and I don't really want to repeat myself for fear of sounding like a conspiracy theorist. :smileyhappy: 

I think I read that thread ... and am waiting patiently for the fix like everyone else. A total backup is not really a big concern for me at this time - I have all of those files (music, videos, documents) backed up on dvd,  external hard drive, and on my file server. Nothing to worry about there.

If you do a security wipe, App World will remember which apps you installed and/or purchased. Just go into App World, then into My World and then Uninstalled. All of the apps that you had previously installed will be listed and you will be able to reinstall them.

Thanks - I was pretty sure I had read something about app world keeping those settings  but I was not positive -- so much to know and remember about this device - I love new toys!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mkhashem
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: mobily

just for the record you don't need to be upset,i got my pb and very happy with performance and features but i live in saudi arabia where app world is not working so i can not connect my torch to pb as a start which really made upset ,i need to travel out of saudi to download the bridge imagine that
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Sorry for the delay coming back and responding. I was traveling and did not have solid forum access.

I'm glad you sorted out the music problem - I actually need to deal with that for a friend tonight as well (silly Apple using proprietary music files for iTunes).

With regards to the security wipe, be aware that this will uninstall all third party apps as well as the sample video and pictures. The alternative is to reload the OS using the Desktop Software which starts you from scratch, but leaves the sample files intact. If you had problems with the backup, I'd recommend this route over the security wipe.

Now then, as to the backup, that actually should backup all of the information on your device, including apps. My last backup was just over 500MB for this exact reason.

And finally with regards to the media content available in apps such as the 7Digital Music Store, you can definitely comment to RIM, but the catch is that they will be unable to do much. At the end of the day, 7Digital has to obtain the legal rights to sell songs via their store and that can take time to organize with record labels, etc. They can't simply ask and receive (and agreements can be costly). The good thing is that as it becomes a more popular digital music service, they will be able to get more pull with the record labels, as well as having a stronger financial backing to help them in negotiations with the labels.

I hope this info helps, and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!

(PS. Like you, I can't wait for developers to do more and more with their apps. There are exciting times ahead as RIM opens up new development tools and new APIs to help developers create the best apps possible).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Developer
big_bz
My Device: Imaginary Playbook
My Carrier: NA

After seeing how ease it is to port POSIX software to the Playbook (e.g. demo of Quake III) I'm sure Playbook will offer amasing software soon.

-----------------------------------------------------
My App: Bouncy Ball Clock (with my own physics engine)
https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/37792
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DawnOfFire

I want to thank both Quila467 and Kyrpto for the solutions - I could only mark one post as the 'solution', though both of you were able to give me answers to seperate parts of the original post

Kudos for both of you!

Please use plain text.