Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
BlackMikeJp
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3UK

Usb dongle

can a usb internet dongle be used with playbook, my service provider has said they would lock me out using playbook tethered to a phone, unless I switch to a lot mor expensive plan, which I do not want to do. I allready have a dongle, which I have been using with my laptop. I use the laptop less, since getting the playbook, but could do with the occasional internet connection, as no local wifi in some places that I go.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Usb dongle

[ Edited ]

Not directly into the tablet via microUSB port. BUT, yes, if you connect the USB modem dongle to a Wi-Fi cellular router. Here is a link to one that my family used to use through Bell.ca here in Canada in their remote property

http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DIR-412-Wireless-11n-Based-150Mbps/dp/B004089H9S D-link DIR 412 for about $60 CAD. This is one I have personally used and it works great. There are all kinds of cellular routers out there. My advice is to take your USB dongle and PlayBook to the store and get the sales rep to open and demo the router to you.

Here's one I found through Monoprice.com (I trust Monoprice and have bought many items from them. If there is a problem they will RMA it) for $13.44 USD. I'd advise you to read the specifications and reviews tab to see if your dongle is compatible and what others have to say - it has an 85% positive rating. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=8069&seq=1&for...

Not only that but you can turn your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot using this software: http://www.mhotspot.com/ and is FREE

• mHotspot is a completely free software which converts your windows 7 or 8 laptop into a virtual wifi router and creates a secure wifi hotspot.(no installation required)
  • You can share single internet connection(LAN, Ethernet, Data-Card, 3G/4G, Wif) for multiple devices like laptops, smartphones, android phones, PDAs, Ipads etc.
  • Play multiplayer gaming using mHotspot
  • No router or external hardware is required apart from your existing one.

BlackMikeJp wrote:

can a usb internet dongle be used with playbook, my service provider has said they would lock me out using playbook tethered to a phone, unless I switch to a lot mor expensive plan, which I do not want to do. I allready have a dongle, which I have been using with my laptop. I use the laptop less, since getting the playbook, but could do with the occasional internet connection, as no local wifi in some places that I go.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BlackMikeJp
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 3UK

Re: Usb dongle

Thanks for the info, had thought that might be the only way, I have now ordered a micro wifi router, suppossed to be compatible with my dongle, should have it tuesday, so will soon see.

Thanks

Please use plain text.