Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
cedarhill
My Device: Blackberry Torch Smartphone AND Blackberry 32 gb Playbook
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Using Playbook for ereader - library books

I just purchased a Playbook - generally it seems what I want, with the huge exception that I also want it to double as an e-reader.  I also want most of my ebooks to be from our local public library.  The library uses Overdrive - but apparently at this time there is no way to read DRM books on the Playbook.

Are there any 'work-arounds' known for this problem?  Has anyone heard if this huge issue will be addressed whenever the new operating system is released....and wil we be able to upgrade the current Playbooks?

If it doesn't look like I can use the Playbook for an ereader (in addition to everything else I want to use it for) I may still return it....but would really rather keep and use it for everything I want!

ALSO - other than snail mail - ANY way of contacting RIM HO about this?

thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daBBdude
My Device: 9650 and Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Using Playbook for ereader - library books

The OS2 allows you to use Overdrive. I am currently using it on my Playbook and have downloaded several books from my local library. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DaVibe
My Device: Blackberry Playbook, BlackBerry Bold 9700, BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: Wind

But OS2 is not widely available as of yet, is it?
So basically the OP has to wait for a BlackBerry Update that has support?

Just wondering because I'd like to do exactly what the OP is doing (or attempting to do).
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daBBdude
My Device: 9650 and Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can use the OS2 that is available for developers, that is what I am using.

I am not a developer, but I have found this OS2 to be very stable and VERY useful for the ability to load some Android apps.

* Legal Disclaimer - actual mileage may vary

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cedarhill
My Device: Blackberry Torch Smartphone AND Blackberry 32 gb Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

OK - sounds good. Where do I get it? And will it affect the rest of the features/settings that are currentlly on PB?

AND since I have someone live here -
*how do I move apps from ALL to FAVORITES or other category?
*how do I delete or inactivate an app ?

THANKS! -
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DaVibe
My Device: Blackberry Playbook, BlackBerry Bold 9700, BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: Wind

Touch an app and hold your finger there on the ap for a few seconds.  The app will then become open to movement (and deletion).  To move it, drag and drop into the appropriate heading, such as "Favourites."

And hopefully other members can chime in on solving this problem / getting OS2.  Search these forums / this site for more info I imagine.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you don't know how to find OS2 then you should not be using it. It is a beta for developers not for the general public.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ThePass
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Shaw

Unfortunately Canadian libraries have ebooks locked and I cannot load them on the Playbook. Can't use KOBO reader or Adobe Reader.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

This question has been asked before several times, but I'll answer it again, the books from most libraries use a DRM that prevents user Apps like BookReader from Appworld. You need to google 'remove drm from books' and check out the free and paid software. I use one from ebook-converter.com, costs $29.There is also Calibre which is free. Remove the DRM and then you can read any book. Yes the new OS will be able to run the Android Apps which may solve the problem but since I don't use Android I'm not sure that there is an app that will remove the DRM from a book.

Please use plain text.
bobcat56
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

I also just purchased one and am having the same problem. I have the Kobo app and tried to download a book but could not find it in my Kobo library after the purchase. I contacted them and they told me to download Adobe digital editions on a laptop, down load the books there, connect my playbook to laptop and transfer the book over using the adobe software. Tried that it didn't work, appears that Playbook is about the ONLY electronic device not supported by Adobe.

Please use plain text.