Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
rverhoeve
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: bell canada

Re: YES it really works! : Using Playbook for ereader - library books

i am in Canada as well. have downlosded and installed Overdirive twice now from AppWorld, and i don't see the app anywhere on my playbook (like an icon i can use). Am i supposed to do something to make it show ? i was able to download a .acsm file from my library, but can't get the PB to do anything with it, and i think it is because Overdrive  is not activated on the PB somehow ??

thanks for any help .

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rverhoeve

hey... figured it out... probably a basic feature in App World on the PB... i had to 'refresh' from My World in App World. then the icon for Overdrive magically showed up on my PB desktop. loaded my Adobe Id, selected my local library, and downloading e-books was easy. just needed that one little step - Refresh.

hope this helps someone else who is frustrated on 'where did the download go ??'. thanks, all.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Hank19
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Bell

How did you get it to work?
I've downloaded Overdrive but when I download my ebook, it still comes in .acsm format. To open that file I need Adobe Digital Editions - WHICH STILL ISN'T SUPPORTED BY PLAYBOOK!!!

Seriously, I'm so sick of this thing. I think I'm returning it today for an iPad or Android tablet.

What an absolute peice of garbage this thing is. No wonder the playbook is considered a colossal failure.
It's  a Canadian company that doesn't support canadian library ebooks. Well done RIM. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Optimum

Swipe down from the top when you open Overdrive.

Select "more options" "help" "download ebooks" 

You don't download adobe digitial editions - you enter your id in the Overdrive settings. Read the help I referenced above.

Overdrive is all you need to open library books on the Playbook. 

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rverhoeve

the real problem hiere, i think, is poor documentation from Overdrive. they don't want to support individuals, only libraries; where they make their money. i found that their help is lacking totally in anything useful to help you get going with the Overdrive app.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ThePass
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Shaw

[ Edited ]

Hey Hank19,  IT  WORKS.    Maybe not as easy as some things, but it does work.    As far as being a Canadian company, I agree.  But it's the deveopers that aren't coming on board.   So, go ahead and spend  3 to 4 times the money for another product.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
swotam
My Device: Z10

Yup, got it working for eBooks borrowed from my local library as well. It's a bit cumbersome to get going but once you define your library and get your Adobe credentials setup it works quite well.
----------
BESX 5.0.4, SQL 2008, Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4a
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kilblaan
My Device: Playbook 16mb
My Carrier: Rogers

I had no problem with Overdrive app and easily connected to my local library. As others have said you log into ADE through Overdrive app.
Please use plain text.