Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

mazzon
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

VOB Files

The Playbook cannot play VOB media or films.  Is someone working on this?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: VOB Files

VOB are raw DVD files.

you will need to convert them with a program like handbrake to something like mp4 which plays well.

Media types that are supported on the BlackBerry PlayBook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
saudiben
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: STC

awesome, that really works well, tx so much.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lexzibIT7
My Device: Bold 9900 / Playbook
My Carrier: Etisalat

hi, i use to play a vob file in my playbook but after the os upgrade it wont play anymore.. i cant even see the file in my playbook now.. i dont think we need to convert the video, because i am sure that it was palying with the built-in player& my wife use to play it everyday because its an abs workout video but when u update the OS cant see it anymore, i connect it to my laptop&i saw the video's are all there.. i hope blackberry fix this glitch on the upgrade& please dont suggest converting video file if its working before. thanks!
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Did you read the posts before yours? It appears from them, from the solution,  and from the guide in the link that vob files have never been supprted. 

My Device: Bold 9900 / Playbook
My Carrier: Etisalat

yup thats why im posting here because we are using our playbook around 6-7 months with a VOB video saved & played everyday coz my wife use to play the abs workout whenever she has vacant time, then suddenly after i update the OS last december it doesnt recognize, meaning my old os version supported it & the update trash it.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

those files were never officially supported. You may wonder why you could play them with the previous versions, but now they do not.

I suspect a license matter about the audio codec (probably issues with Dolby).

This has also happened recently (in the past 2 months) for Android tablets and iPad tablets.

Now, if you want help, and ask for it, some people on the forum can help you to convert that video file in a format that your PlayBook can play. If that is your intent, then open a new discussion, or directly use handbrake on Windows.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

mp4 is the best format to use on PlayBook, I have converted many vids to it for my children.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

indeed.

MP4 format

audio codec : AAC 192kbps or MP3 (do NOT use AC3 since it is the Dolby codec, the culprit)
video codec : MPEG4 1200 kbps

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mark811
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: wifi only

The "KalemSoft Media Player" from the app store plays vob files fine, have not yet found one of my video files it can't play.

Not cheap at £5 but well worth it if you play a lot of video on your Playbook, does a good job streaming from my NAS (Twonky server) with up to 720p files, 1080p can struggle streaming to Playbook.

Please use plain text.