Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Wind

Video Recording Issues

I (unfortunately) used the Blackberry Playbook to record a speech presentation today. I should have used a video camcorder instead, but opted for the Placbook to record at 720p with 32 gb of available memory and made sure there was adequate hard drive storage space. I activated the video camera, touched the red icon when the 'record video' functionality popped up. Right away the 'record' timer started and the speech ran for about an hour. There were no error messages during the recording process and the screen looked okay. I hit the red icon again to cease recording after 50 minutes and went to play back what I recorded and ... no video! Nothing on the hard drive! I checked all the folders, file manager, video, nothing! I may as well have held up a cardboard box!  I did a couple of extra test videos at a few seconds and those were fine but the near-hour piece was gone!

I spoke with BB tech support and they suggested it was a software issue.

After looking over this forum, reflecting on this negative experience and tech support comments, I realized perhaps this tablet is not really meant as a dedicated media recorder replacement (i.e. cam corder). BB may have released an incomplete beta device or a device with beta software (or both!). I was hoping there was a way to retrieve the hour long video. BB tech support was at a loss as to how to do this. They kept suggesting to reinstall the software.

Anyone here know any better?

Very dissapointing! I doubt I will ever use this device for anything important.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Video Recording Issues

I use the PlayBook as a dashcam to record ~30 minutes of 1080p video a day and have never had this happen.  I don't consider the PlayBook to be a dedicated photography tool, but it works very well as a video camera.

Did you perhaps close out of the camera before the "video saved" sound?  That may have corrupted the file.  An hour-long 720p video, from my recollection, would take about 4-6 seconds to completely save once you hit the Stop button.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Just did three test runs at 720p and checked the file sizes  in the camera folder.

15 mins - 868MB

30 mins - 1.7GB

60 mins - 3.4GB

I touched the red mark to stop recording, opened up Videos and there they were.

Was the time clock running under the red square?

Have you ever recorded other videos successfully?

Was it 60 mins or more?  I haven't time or will to test any more video lengths but you could. Just leave it running for 75 minutes looking at the ceiling and try viewing again.

I suggest it's a simple user accident for whatever reason, and not a software problem. It has been reported before but the conclusion was the same - simply an oops.

It does happen on video cameras too - been there done that.

[EDIT] It could be  that an hour and a bit exceeds the file size limit for 32 bit filesystems. Don't know if Playbook has a file limit - anyone know?

Hello Jarviser and Bdai,

Yes, the clock was running and every indication the program was functioining the way it was supposed to, but the net result was no video. The idea of 32 bit memory not exceeding 4gigs is possible, if so, that is a limitation BB should have warned clients about. I too have used dedicated camcorder devices and once a video is recorded, the device goes on standby and processes the video. I see no rerason the device should not process the video unless the batteries are dead, or the tablet is slammed against a brick wall. If the device does not process video after recording that is a serious functionality issue.The fact tech support could not diagnose the issue goes to show all-in-one devices are not to be trusted. I take it there is no way to retrieve my video.

In either case, I cannot use this device again for something necessary. It is a complete let-down. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have an Avatar BluRay movie that is 5.4 gig in size.

I have not recorded video at that size yet

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I would like to add that Blackberry Technical Support is completely useless with regards to adressing technical matters like this. They are probably not paid enough, exploited by the the company (outsourced labor generally is), and not trained enough with regards to their products.

I made the mistake of purchasing an extended warranty with BB (which I am trying tro refund), but the staff has no clue how to do this. Just tryingh to recoup losses here.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

jarviser wrote:

[EDIT] It could be  that an hour and a bit exceeds the file size limit for 32 bit filesystems. Don't know if Playbook has a file limit - anyone know?

This limit exists, but the PlayBook will tell you when it is exceeded and save the video.  This is at roughly 1.5 h for 720p and 35 minutes for 1080p.

Tablet OS seems to close running apps immediately without any signal to the app itself - I have lost notes and documents because I closed an app without saving.  This may be good for stability, but giving apps a chance to display "Would you like to save before exiting?" would be nice.  The same thing may have happened to your video - the app was closed while it was writing changes to the file, corrupting the video file.

New Contributor

Then I am a victem of poorly written software by Blackberry. When you are on the front lines recording vital data and need media you can trust, to have vital material go missing is maddening. There is not even a way to trace the error/problem which is why tech support is at a loss.

I need things to work, a camera that does not take pictures is useless, a radio that emits no sound is useless, a tablet that advertises a video recording feature that may or may not work, depending on how the software feels that day, means the product must be recalled until BB gets it right.

Heed my warning people and use something else if you are recording something important.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Teksavvy

I have made many videos, not as long, but they all turned out, no problems. I am not aware of this happening. Does your PlayBook have the original hi def video that came on the unit. Your video should be in the same folder.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

I think you have made up your mind about Playbook  because you lost a valuable recording.  There have not been many such reported problems, I only recall one other. 5h1t happens sometimes.

It's a pocket computer with a camera, not a pro video camera. I wouldnt photograph a wedding with a PlayBook, ipad or galaxy, I would use my Nikon. Risking a full hour valuable video on a pocket device was probably unwise with 20:20 hindsight