Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
jmcq
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Voice Notes not working

Hi,

I've been using voice notes on the Playbook with no problems up until a two days ago when it stopped working. The app loads but when I touch record, nothing happens, it just seems to hang.  I can delete files in the voice folder but not play them back or record new ones.

Before the problem occurred I recorded a 10 minute piece of dialogue, closed the app, then copied it out of the voice folder.  Don't know if this has any relationship to the problem, it's something I've done plenty of other times without this issue.

I'd be really grateful if you could suggest a solution, Voice Notes is a really useful app.

Thanks,

John

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Re: Voice Notes not working

Maybe you also copied the "voice" folder out of the Playbook directory. If it's not there, just create a new folder. Should solve the issue. Playbook requires a few standard folders to be present in the directory structure before it can read or write data to them.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmcq

Hi Greenback,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Sorry to say, the voice folder is still there.  Could it be a prolem with permissions?  Is it possible to chmod the folder somehow from within Palybook UI? Is it possible that the folder permission could have changed in the first place?

Thanks again for your help.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

You can't change permissions for the same reason you can't accidentally remove the voice folder... You don't have permission (ironically).

Just curious - have you tried just copying a short voice file back by itself to see if you can play this?

Have to tried to reboot the PlayBook?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmcq

Hi John,

I've tried copying in original voice notes recordings.  It lets me select and delete them, but not play them (I'm able to play them in the music app).  I've tried rebooting (hard and soft), still no luck.  One of these things with no apparent cause that's causing me grief!  I've tried the video camera and that works fine, I can record audio from other apps that I've tried - but would really like to get voice notes working again.

Cheers,

John

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
surdos
My Device: playbook 64GB
My Carrier: giffgaff

i have the same problem

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leithell
My Device: BlackBerry playbook 32gb
My Carrier: Telus

Did you get problem resolved? I just ran into this problem after 2 years of recording with it. It all started when playbook informed me that I was running out of space and I couldn't play, record or delete files. After finally using air browser I was able to delete files but I'm still not able use the voice notes
Please use plain text.
cgat49
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook os
My Carrier: EE

Hi i have just experienced the same problem exactly. I use this app for recording minutes. Of my meetings and am lost without it. Is there a solution i have tried resetting by holding on/off button for 20seconds but that hasnt resolved it, any suggestions would be appreciated 

Please use plain text.
whackystrings
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Not Applicable

[ Edited ]

Funny, this is *exactly* the same scenario.

I was using the Blackberry camera app for filming a short clip, received the error msg about running out of space, and Voice Notes stopped working :Helpsmilie:

I thought that it may be due to exceeding some kind of aggregate filesize or file count. I copied all the audio files over to my PC and proceeded to delete all the Voice Notes files on the Playbook.

No dice. Boo!

I've had to move to the 3rd party app "VirtualRecorder" although I would be very happy to return to Voice Notes if anyone has a solution.

Please use plain text.