Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

Re: WTF - why are the bridge contacts email calendar not integrated???

>>They said you need to buy Mobile Mobile Fusion and then put it on your Enterprise server and then get your IT administrator to set it up for you

That is a good one.... I am my IT administrator, I am a small business owner who uses Outlook on his desktop and who uses a Torch for phone calls when on the road... I cannot afford to go out and buy software like Exchange to sync mail with my phone and a tablet.... it is nuts

All BB has to do is to enable the Playbook to sync its contact and Calendar (and why not Tasks and Notes?) with my phone and or my computer. Simple. Problem solved.

Would love to hear the reason why this cannot be done... or why it was not done.

I also called support, which I knew was a waste of time to start with. Just needed to vent (I did apologise to the guy I was talking to). They suggested placing all my contacts and calendar info on either yahoo, hotmail or gmail and syncing it from there...

The "cloud" ... how tiresome.... I don't want to pump info 2000 miles just to add a contact or change a pohne number. Three feet will do, and I am sure, in the long run, it is ALOT greener.
Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

scottpm wrote:

I also called support, which I knew was a waste of time to start with. Just needed to vent (I did apologise to the guy I was talking to). They suggested placing all my contacts and calendar info on either yahoo, hotmail or gmail and syncing it from there...

That's probably what I'm going to do soon, but since my sanity is more precious, I will give it a week or so and see what other options and/or workarounds become available.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

SBS pricing

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/11/02/announcing-windows-small-business-server-2011.aspx

BES Express 5 is free

Fusion is about 100 per user for device CALs

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Curve
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm totally with you Scott. I don't understand why I can't sync my calendar and contacts from the a non-enterprise version of Outlook. I think this is a HUGE oversight for the many small businesses amongst BBs users. 

My Device: 9900 - Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Yeah I just created a gmail account just for contacts....., but there is some sync issues... I can create a contact and it syncs it without problem, but if I modify some informations in the app... it doesn't sync 

grrr

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g
My Carrier: ATT

[ Edited ]

Yep I agree WTF the BB phone out shines the PB by miles as a personal information manager no integration like the BB phone leaves the Playbook in the toy category.  This is a major disappointment and a possible deal breaker. I thought I bought a tool that plays not a toy disguised as a tool.  Major bummer here!

I could care less about Android games and multimedia they're nice but not the motivation to buy.  close integration was Blackberry's strong point now it's just a passing status symbol.

As far as creating an email account just for contact syncing that's enough for me to start a war. My contact list in Outlook is nobody's business but mine. This is why I left Windows mobile because I wasn't going to give my Outlook contact list over to Microsoft's cloud. I came to BlackBerry specifically to be able to directly sync with my desktop with out any outside server. I will put up with any other lack of functionality to preserve that level of privacy and security.

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Interesting postings.  If I understand what I've read correctly, for somebody using the PB with a BB Torch 9810 and also using Outlook, there isn't a direct way to sync the Outlook Contacts (and calendar) with the Playbook? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

By directly I mean without using the BB Bridge.

Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

chipstr1 wrote:

Interesting postings.  If I understand what I've read correctly, for somebody using the PB with a BB Torch 9810 and also using Outlook, there isn't a direct way to sync the Outlook Contacts (and calendar) with the Playbook? 

This is correct.

Sad to say.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

That is correct, although I would be remiss if I did not point out that you have never been able to do so.
My issue is that the playbook now gives you two separate apps for contacts, calendar and email. It does not provide you with the ability to search sync your phone or computer with the new native applications for these items. If you want to use the new applications you either have to be running an exchange server (and some other junk) or you have to store your stuff with a service like hotmail or gmail.
Neither of those options holds any appeal to me. In fact, after having been a very loyal MS customer for a decade, I just switched from MS to BB last summer. for this exact reason (being forced by MS to sync my outlook info onto someone elses server in order to get the info onto my phone). I am hugely let down by the update and will likely junk the playbook once win8 tablets arrive (keeping my fingers crossed that they will be worth while)