Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: WTF - why are the bridge contacts email calendar not integrated???

scottpm wrote:
knottyrope wrote:

Why can you not connect the playbook to Exchange via Exchange Active Sync? works like a windows mobile phone would

The sad fact is that If you are an individual or a small business owner you do not have the budget for Exchange.  It blows me away all the people who say... "why not just use exchange", as though it were just some freebie hanging out there. You sort of can tell who pays the bills and who spends the cash...

it was directed at funnygrl not at you, thats why I quoted it.

As for you, i have no solution to offer unless you want to sync outlook with gmail or a diff free EAS compatable service

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ThinSTAR
My Device: BB PlayBook
My Carrier: TDC

Hello all, I'm not saying that you should not have the choice to do as you like. But there is a but, :smileyhappy: If you could synk your bb and pb anyone could, and that means the security that the bb offer would be useless if I couldn't enforce my corporate policy. I'm not saying I don't think your use is valid. I only wanted to point out that there might be reasons it is  done this way.

Norwegian and a BB/PB user. Read what I mean, not what I spell.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottpm
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

ThinSTAR wrote:

I'm not saying I don't think your use is valid.

You make this a bit confusing by using a double negative... You should have simply said "I am not saying that I think your use is invalid" -  actually noticed you used a double negative in the first sentence as well.Stop that!! :smileyhappy:

Explain why I can sync my BB Torch with my Outlook PST file on my computer (and not worry about security) and why I cannot sync my Playbook with my Outlook PST file on my computer (and now I have to worry about security?).

Thanks

BTW, I think the only reason it was not done was $$.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

please look at this thread

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook-2-0-Insider/Bridge-Calendar-v-Native-Cale...

It was mentioned "We continue to work to improve the experience even for non-server customers"

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
scottpm
My Device: zed10
My Carrier: bell

[ Edited ]

which means what exactly?
is it code for "ah, come on guys (and gals), we gave you (lowly, non corporate, non exchange people) the ability to run Ninja Fruit, aren't you happy yet? Do you mean to tell me you actually want to use this toy to help yo manage your business?"

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,890
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

knottyrope wrote:

please look at this thread

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook-2-0-Insider/Bridge-Calendar-v-Native-Cale...

It was mentioned "We continue to work to improve the experience even for non-server customers"

Bottom line is RIM missed it again, big time (again). If they haven't figured out how to implement Playbook native contacts and calendar sync for non-enterprise and non-gmail/hotmail users in the nine months since the PlayBook was released, nor have they heard the hue and cry from users for this function, I just can't hold much faith that it will be coming, and especially so when the program manager for OS2 won't even acknowledge the need for this.

IMO, about 50% of my use of the PlayBook is still down the drain.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FunnyGrl
My Device: Playbook os 2 and Bold 9900
My Carrier: Wind

"Why can you not connect the playbook to Exchange via Exchange Active Sync? Works like a windows mobile phone would"

Thanks knottyrope for the suggestion - I've passed it on to the person with access to our server and am waiting to hear what they have to say.   I'll let you know.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 x 2, PlayBook 16g & 64g, Bridged with RROYY.com
My Carrier: ATT

I wish that anytime someone recommends using any cloud service for synchronizing personal data that the risks involved would be explained as well. This is just good consulting practice and required by law if you were consulting for hire. And would keep the credibility of advice given in this forum held to high standards.

FunnyGrl
My Device: Playbook os 2 and Bold 9900
My Carrier: Wind

my knowledge of cloud tech is limited - to the fact that it is using off site servers that are "somewhere" - convenient yes but if like in my line of work - information is sensitive and clients expect confidentiality and security - then the "cloud" no matter who is hosting it is not an option.  Maybe in time this will change but the way things stand - even if i personally wanted to use the 'cloud' to facilitate my use of the pb - its not an option by virtue of the fact that it is beyond our control and not secure.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 x 2, PlayBook 16g & 64g, Bridged with RROYY.com
My Carrier: ATT

Amen FunnyGrl preach it! 

Sadly the naive public have no clue and go for all the freebies with no consideration for the consequences of their choices or actions.

Just like the testimonials on some infomercial "If they give it away for free it must be good!"

Like Thomas Jefferson said with my modification: Any government/corporation large enough to give you everything you want is large enough to take it all away."

That is why I have a paid for email account for all transactions and business issues and a free one for non critical stuff.

Paid for I have a contract and contract law to protect me free I have nothing and am at their mercy.