Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
scocam
My Device: Playbook 16
My Carrier: alaint

Wallpaper OS Bug

I've discovered that nay non Default (25 images) that there is a zoom applied to these images when used as wallpaper.

I have been planning a few wallpaper images for download for the PB forum members but until this issue is resolved I'll hold off posting on my website.

Please take a look at this image the artwork is created 1024 x 600 and uploaded to the PB. When viewing the image it looks perfect but selecting it  as a wall paper it gets zoom by about 60%..however er if I select a default PB images a wallpaper it's fine.

I've tried PNG and JPG and any artwork I create and set to wallpaper it gets zoomed.

This is definitely a OS bug!

Please review the attached image as you can see the original artwork and screen grab clearly shows the problem with imported images

a1.jpg

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Wallpaper OS Bug

I created my wallpaper as 1024x1024 instead of 1024x600 and then instead of zooming, it just centers it.  I think it expects to have 1024 pixels in both orientations for when you rotate the tablet.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam

interesting but that does not explain my my 1024 x 600 is not scaled properly...the default wallpapers are 1024 x 600 and they rotate perfectly fine

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam

when I rotated my iamge I did get the full height...hmm interesting again...you maybe onbto something Ièll try 1024 x 1024 see what happens

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam

[ Edited ]

it looks like the PB OS is centering all images and applies the ratio depending on teh rotation....but that still does not explain why a 1024 x 600 image does not fit the defalut landscape mode as per my above iamge ....technically it shoudl fit perfect and be cropped when rotated, but itès not so

I did try a 1024 x 1024 iamge but hat is certainly a poor fix for something that is clearly an OS bug

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb
My Carrier: Rogers

I agree, it's not a fix.  But it's a good enough work around for now.  I was able to crop a photo so that the end result was what I wanted as a background without any zooming.  This is one of many bugs I haven't bothered reporting to RIM yet because I think there are much more important ones for them to deal with right now.  Of course, they'll probably fix this one first.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dgagnon99
My Device: BB Playbook

Thanks for this post.  I thought I had done something wrong with my first background picture.  Hopefully, a patch will correct this in the future.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam

[ Edited ]

glad that sorted it out then we are all in agreemtn soemthing is amiss with th epart of th eOS woohoo kudo me woohoo

what I'd like to do is downlaod teh default iamges see what resolution they are but we can't

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.
Developer
Deevych
My Device: Not Specified

Just a idea - try to check the dpi/ppi of the original RIM's background images and yours.
There is a chance that yours image has bigger dpi, which makes the PlayBook sad about that and it just makes all it can do to show the image.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
scocam

I tried both 72pdi and 96 dpi

I am unable to downlaod the default PB image those images are stored in the OS root directory of the system and in another thread I started we cannot delete those default images...which to me is silly, every byte counts on low volume storage devices.

wish RIM which chime in here..

eastcoastcreative
Please use plain text.