Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
dwaynea
My Device: Q10 & PB 64GB

Website pulldown menus

[ Edited ]

Help.  I want to use the Browser tool to view websites with pulldown menus.  If I touch the menu header on the website the selections expand under my touch.  When I relocate my finger to touch an item in the expanded menu the menu disapears and my selection is lost.  I have tried combinations of holding and touch with another finger but this only zooms the screen.

I hate to use the 'i' word, but when I try to access the same website on my son's iPad the selection menu stays visible after I remove my finger to make the next selection.

This phenomenon is even more frustrating on websites that use nested pulldown menus.  For example, try http://www.rapidotrains.com.  Then try to select HO Scale - Locomotives - FP9A.  I have yet to view this page on my Playbook, but have no trouble at all on the i-thing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!   How do I access these menus with my Playbook?

Thank you.  Dwayne A.

Contributor
MrAureliusR
My Device: PlayBook 16gb Wi-Fi only, OS 2.1.0.1314

Re: Website pulldown menus

Hmm.. I see what you mean. Let me do a little research and I'll see what I can find.

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Contributor
MrAureliusR

[ Edited ]

So the first workaround I've found is try doing a triple-click. I've tried it and it works about %25 of the time. If it works the drop down menu will just stay open.

Try doing a triple click and HOLD on the third click for a second. Sometimes even a single long press will get the menu to stay up

However, on the website you gave, it will keep the menu open but then it won't let me select the link. Try using Secure Browser and doing the same thing maybe?

I'll keep looking.

EDIT: For anyone who's familiar with the coding in the browser, here's the source of the page for the section he's asking about. I don't know enough to know what the browser is having trouble with or what it's handling differently. People who have had this problem before said in OS1 it worked fine...

<div id="topNavigation">
  <ul class="topmenu" id="css3menu1" name="css3menu1">
    <li class="topfirst"><a href="#" style="width:107px; height:16px; line-height:16px;"><span>HO Scale</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="#"><span>Complete Trains</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="canadian.html">The Canadian</a></li>
            <li><a href="scllrc.html">LRC</a></li>
            <li><a href="turbo.html">TurboTrain</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#"><span>Locomotives</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="fp9_1.html">FP9A</a></li>
            <li><a href="fpa4.html">FPA-4</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#"><span>Passenger Cars</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="ob1.html">Osgood Bradley Coaches</a></li>
            <li><a href="scl1.html">Super Continental Line</a></li>
            <li><a href="sclgen.html">Steam Generator Cars</a></li>
            <li><a href="budd1.html">Budd Passenger Cars</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#"><span>Freight Cars</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="freight2.html">GARX 37' Meat Reefer</a></li>
            <li><a href="cab1.html">Wide Vision Caboose</a></li>
            <li><a href="pscvan.html">CN Pointe St. Charles Caboose</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#"><span>Accessories</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="details.html">Detail Parts</a></li>
            <li><a href="poles.html">&quot;Totally Wired&quot; Telephone Poles</a></li>
            <li><a href="light_ho.html">&quot;Easy-Peasy&quot; Lighting</a></li>
            <li><a href="trucks_ho.html">Trucks</a></li>
            <li><a href="couplers_ho.html">Rusty Couplers</a></li>
            <li><a href="decals.html">Decals</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <li class="topmenu"><a href="#" style="width:107px;height:16px;line-height:16px;"><span>N Scale</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="#"><span>Passenger Cars</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="pan1.html">Panorama Line</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#"><span>Freight Cars</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="pscvan_n.html">CN Pointe St. Charles Caboose</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#"><span>Accessories</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="details.html">Detail Parts</a></li>
            <li><a href="light_n.html">&quot;Easy-Peasy&quot; Lighting</a></li>
            <li><a href="trucks_n.html">Trucks</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <li class="topmenu"><a href="#" style="width:107px;height:16px;line-height:16px;"><span>News</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="rapidonewscurrent.html">Latest Newsletter</a></li>
        <li><a href="news_archive.html">Past Newsletters</a></li>
        <li><a href="schedule.html">Schedule</a></li>
        <li><a href="events.html">Upcoming Events</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <li class="topmenu"><a href="#" style="width:107px;height:16px;line-height:16px;"><span>Info &amp; Catalogs</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="dealer_list.html">Dealer Listing</a></li>
        <li><a href="catalogs.html">Catalogs</a></li>
        <li><a href="mastprod.html">All-Time Product List</a></li>
        <li><a href="http://www.rapidotrains.com/blog/">Blog</a></li>
        <li><a href="info.html"><span>Dealer Info</span></a>
          <ul>
            <li class="subfirst"><a href="info.html">Becoming A Dealer</a></li>
            <li><a href="custom.html">Custom Work</a></li>
          </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="about.html">About Us</a></li>
        <li><a href="contact.html">Contact Us</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <li class="topmenu"><a href="#" style="width:107px;height:16px;line-height:16px;"><span>Support</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="support.html">Product Help</a></li>
        <li><a href="mastprod.html">All-Time Product List</a></li>
        <li><a href="catalogs.html">Catalogs</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <li class="topmenu"><a href="#" style="width:109px;height:16px;line-height:16px;"><span>Galleries</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="audiovideo.html">Product Movies</a></li>
        <li><a href="gall1.html">Your Photos</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
    <li class="toplast"><a href="#" style="width:107px;height:16px;line-height:16px;"><span>Schedule</span></a>
      <ul>
        <li class="subfirst"><a href="schedule.html">Delivery Updates</a></li>
        <li><a href="events.html">Upcoming Events</a></li>
      </ul>
    </li>
  </ul>

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Regular Contributor
dwaynea

[ Edited ]

Mr. Aurelius,

Thank you for your reply.

(That the reply pool is so shallow is an indication that RIM isn't serious about supporting the PB as a usable tool. Great.)

Your statement about the workaround only working 25% of the time is correct. And when the pulldown menu contains nested items the workaround only works 0% of the time.

Again, if anyone has a working solution to this problem please reply.

Dwayne A

Contributor
MrAureliusR

To answer part of your question, these are not official BlackBerry support forums. Nobody from RIM reads these posts. This is a peer to peer community forum so playbook users can help each other out. 

And I tested that workaround on the website you mentioned and you're right, it didn't actually work well on that website. It's likely its just a coding error in the browser. It's probably handling those commands differently than it should. Have you called the official support line? Also have you tried installing other browsers? I'm going to try and sideload dolphin browser for Android and see if it works any better.  

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Regular Contributor
dwaynea

Hello again Mr. Aurelius,

I'm sorry, my intent was not to disprespect your support. I am thankful for your replies.

No, I haven't tried to call the official support line. I was an early adopter so my support options have long since expired. (Unless somebody can advise how to actually contact a live person at RIM).

Another browser? I'll admit to not being that technically savy. Is that something I would get off the BB Appworld? I will search for 'browser', but another suggestion would be appreciated.

Dwayne A
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

I tried Simple Browser and its the same.  There are not many browers to choose from on App World and they all use the same basic Playbook fucntionality from what I can see, i.e. any inability to function seems to carry over to all of them.

It's just awful web page design which is supposed to be slick but which annoys the heck out of me when using a normal mouse driven computer and it has never translated across to touch screens. The web designers need to change the code if they want customers now everyone has  tablets. I just go and buy elsewhere when it happens. 

Anyone with an eyepad tried this site by the way?

Mr. Jarvisor,

I tried this website on my son's eyepad and the behavior is not the same. Each sub-menu stays visible after a single tap allowing the next selection to be made.

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook

I have the same problem with a volunteer organization website I maintain using a joomla cms but am stuck with the template we're provided with. The problem seems to be part playbook part bad rollover code.

The menus do hold open longer on the iphones and ipads than with the PlayBook. An Acer android tablet keeps them open even longer but still can't manage the nested menus.

I put the site map back on our site to make it accessible, but would love to see a better solution. If the PlayBook could at least manage the time delay that the other devices do, it'd help.

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook

Oh cool.. The triple tap thing really does work. With a little practice, I might even be able to snag the nested menu.. The PlayBook is the first one to even get it to display - not that I can get to it in time... ;-)

Who knew..!