Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Website pulldown menus

So you are saying droids and even eyepads can't get to nested menus either? 

My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

OK. I've had a look at the site and can offer some explanation.

First of all, the code for the dropdowns is sloppy - and if it doesn't work properly on any given browser it's not the fault of the browser:

1 - There's no timeout after the mouse moves away from the menu so it immediately disppears. It's bad for mouse users, nevermind touch users.

2 - The links that aren't link actually move the page to the top of the browser screen, making the browser page shift - causing the mouse to move. EG. Go to the page on your PC and scroll down slightly, then click on the menu and watch what hapens. (Javascript could at least include a line to prevent the page's default link working here).

3 - As when you click it an additional block appears underneath briefly, it causes the page to shift again causing more cursor movement.

4 - The submenus link to other pages as well as being  responsible for showing more navigation. They also suffer from showing the mystery appearing / disappearing block.

In a nutshell, I'm amazed it works on any browsers at all. It really isn't a very good dropdown menu.

I've tested the site on the PlayBook, BlackBerry 10 and BlacBerry 7.1 browsers. It's easier with 7.1 as you have the trackpad. The BB10 Browser can't open the submenus (but the main menus are fine). The PB has the issues mentioned above.

The only EASY workaround I can think of is using BB Bridge and remote control the browser or use a Bluetooth mouse. But not ideal.

Someone mentioned testing with the Dolphin Browser (yes, it's in AppWorld) as well.

Ultimately, this is a lesson in poor website design rather than a browser fault. The different behaviour from many browsers isn't surprising due to the list above.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Hi jarviser: Yep (or nope, I guess) same problem on i's and droids for me. Triple tap actually gets the menu to hold open longer than the rest - so PB just moved up into first place ;-)

Hi cas118 - don't suppose you could check the code on the site I maintain..? (oo.iiba.org) - it's a joomla site with a menu module called "Extended Menu" (http://de.siteof.de/extended-menu.html). The site is a default template we're provided with and we don't have access to the main css template so I'm not entirely sure that changing the settings of the module will have any effect. I haven't noticed them and can't navigate the html source code to figure it out. There's also a plugin installed for Apple-style drop down menus that is enabled (http://www.kksou.com/php-gtk2/Joomla/Drop-Down-Menu-Apple-style.php) but not sure it's doing anything either.

Any suggestions to make things easier for touchscreens is appreciated. The menu is a direct extension of the content - so basically if there's a page, there's a branch in the tree.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Oh - and I'm overhauling the site, bit by bit. And am a total amateur, figuring out how the **bleep** thing works by trial and error (no test site either :smileywink: so I try not to break it)
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

cas118 wrote:

In a nutshell, I'm amazed it works on any browsers at all. It really isn't a very good dropdown menu.

quirks mode can do wonders :smileywink:

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.