Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g

When will Active Sync come to Desktop Manager for the PlayBook?

Does anyone know when Active Sync will come to the desktop for the PlayBook?

It is difficult to understand why I can sync my phone directly from my desktop app Outlook to my phone via Desktop Manager but not the PlayBook.

I have searched tons of other forums and know that this is a wide spread frustration.  With all of the request for this function you would think this would be an item of immediate attention.  If you are going to try to explain it away as some sort of function of BlackBerry Balance, then you are condemning all non Enterprise users when the BB10 phones arrive as the BB10 phones will no longer directly sync to a desktop version of Outlook either, and that will be a sever loss.

One of the greatest attractions to the BlackBerry platform is its security and privacy.  The ability for the BlackBerry phone to sync to a personal computer running Outlook (or other form such as a csv file) without some connection to a cloud server is highly desirable as noted in all related forums.

With the addition of encryption to PlayBook OS 2.1 I see no reason to consider private syncing to a desktop to be a security risk, plus that BlackBerry Balance separates private apps and data from corporate apps and data.  

If this function were to be added to the PlayBook it would be a major win for RIM as other tablet platforms do not sync contact or calendar data without a cloud service.

The recent loss of Yahoo Contacts after the update of 2.1, and no fix for it inspired me to post this thread.

Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: When will Active Sync come to Desktop Manager for the PlayBook?

Zildjian71 wrote:

Does anyone know when Active Sync will come to the desktop for the PlayBook?

No one here knows. It's been asked for since the beginning of the PlayBook, for quite some time, and neither do I understand why RIM won't allow this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g

Re: When will Active Sync come to Desktop Manager for the PlayBook?

JSanders thanks for checking in. It puzzles me that RIM hasn't experimented with trials of Active Sync in PB OS betas prior to the BB10 release. I mean a long ways before the BB10 release for both BES and personal use.

I'm pretty confident it will happen for a PB with BES enrollment, but not so sure for personal PB to DM, at least there hasn't been any noises in that direction.

2013 1st quarter isn't that far away and you'd think a complex function like that would need serious beta testing.