Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
AliWonder
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
Accepted Solution

Where are my downloads?

I just found & downloaded an 'Amazon Kindle for Blackberry Playbook' app onto my playbook; it told me it was 'saving' it somewhere, but it is nowhere to be found. When I tried to re-download it, it told me it as already on the device. But there is no icon on the home page nor in 'appworld'. Where are downloads sent to & how do I access them?

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

Re: Where are my downloads?

Been there. Done that.

Scroll the screen up and they will be below the icons that you see normally. Hold and move the icon to where you want the icon to be.

Regards to all (except BB)
Contributor
AliWonder

Thanks; no that doesn't work. If I slide my finger downwards or upwards on the home screen the icons all just sink to the bottom & disappear, & there's nothing but the top 4 that are always in the section above the other icons (messages/contacts/browser/camera) + my background picture. There is nothing else apart from the usual icons tha are always there....

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

AliWonder wrote:

I just found & downloaded an 'Amazon Kindle for Blackberry Playbook' app onto my playbook; it told me it was 'saving' it somewhere, but it is nowhere to be found. When I tried to re-download it, it told me it as already on the device. But there is no icon on the home page nor in 'appworld'. Where are downloads sent to & how do I access them?

That app has to be sideloaded.what sideloading tool did you use?

If you don't. Know what I am talking about see below.

Get app from here http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook/playbook-android-apps/ and download to your personal computer. 

The following works on PC, Mac or Ubuntu which is why I use it rather than the tool recommended by goodereader.

Get google chrome browser on your computer from here http://www.google.com/chrome
(for Ubuntu install Chromium)

When installed get chrome Extension called Playbook App Manager and install.

Put PlayBook into "Development  mode" at diagonal top swipe, settings, security, preferably using same password as main playbook password

Diagonal swipe again to get the icons bar and tap the dev mode icon (white person with star) and make a note of the dev mode ip address 

Run the chrome extension and follow the simple instructions to install (ie sideload) the  app, using the above ip address. 

Yaaay! Wow - that was a complete revelation; I knew nothing about 'development mode'; it worked perfectly. Thank you very much! :Clap:

So does this mean that I have to go into development mode to install other downloads onto the Playbook?

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

[ Edited ]

AliWonder wrote:

Yaaay! Wow - that was a complete revelation; I knew nothing about 'development mode'; it worked perfectly. Thank you very much! :Clap:

So does this mean that I have to go into development mode to install other downloads onto the Playbook?

If I may politely correct your terminology.

Files, documents, photos are Downloaded from the web. They go into downloads folder.

Apps from App World in the Playbook are Installed.

Apps from converted Android Apps (.bar files) are Sideloaded using a computer and a sideload tool.

You only need dev mode for Sideloads

EDIT
(You may even find the original .bar file that you downloaded earlier in your downloads folder, but it will just be sitting there doing nothing and can be deleted. You need to install a decent file manager like AIR Browser to see it and delete it)

Ok, thanks - the Kindle app I clicked on told me it was 'downloading' not 'sideloading' ... :smileyhappy:

I don't know where else I would have even heard this term from if I hadn't come on here; there's nothing in the general help for the Playbook that explains thse things.... !

Forums Veteran I
jarviser

See my extra edit note above. You can download the app to your Playbook from the web just like any file, but it just sits in the downloads folder doing nothing but taking up space. 

Sideloading is supposed to be only for developers to try out their new apps but provided they are not illegal copies of paid-for apps, RIM are happy for us normal people to sideload apps and should continue to allow the practice. You will not find instructions in the manual however!

Thanks.

Today I seem to have a problem with the app manager though; first I tried to open it from the link I'd saved, but that doesn't work. So I searched for it again & clicked 'add to Chrome'; it tells me it's 'added to chrome', but it doesn't seem able to connect with the Playbook. It goes through all of the various screens with the lists of apps installed, over & over again, & it gets to the screen that says 'log in to your playbook'; it says 'logging in' but the green bar is stuck at around 80% full; it never finishes the log-in. Any ideas? Maybe I should uninstall & start again? Thanks.

Contributor
AliWonder

[ Edited ]

OK, I found the app manager; put it in the trash, then downloaded it again & added it to Chrome. This time it told me it has successfully installed the app I had downloaded ('Aldiko for playbook'), but I cannot see it anywhere on the PB. The Kindle app just appeared on the home screen right away.

I then clicked 'launch app' within playbook manager; it insisted I go back into development mode (which had switched itself off) ; it then launched the app on the PB, but as soon as I closed it off it vanished again; nowhere to be seen. There is no 'downloads' folder on my PB; nowhere at all where you can search for things that may not have been put on the home screen, so I don't even know where to look for it....