Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: BT

Re: Where's the file?

Try downloading "Air Browser" from the apps store, it is free and this should help you to locate your files.

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: cogeco

Done that.  Air Browser does not have a search function as far as I can tell.

I bought the BB tablet in anticipation of the next generation operating system; I am going to wait until that is installed before frustrating myself any further.  Then, if I have problems I will get on to tech support.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: BT

It sounds to me like you have downloaded a DRM protected mobi ebook and if that is the case the book readed is not compatible with these. Try downloading a free ebook that is not DRM protected and see if the book reader app will find it. 

I have used this app to read many e books with and do not have a problem

Good luck.

Contributor

I have tried epub files, also PDF files, also word DOC files.  There is NO FILE OF ANY TYPE that does not get the same response, i.e., "you do not have permission to read this file".  I can copy ANY file to a flash drive - if OS2 properly implements the USB port so I can upload from a flash drive things should be OK. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Go in to the Gear at the top right of the screen and in the security setting, select the application that need the permisson(s) to be set and then choose ALLOWED, and it should work after that 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor

Martin, thanks for this advice.  I set to "ALLOWED" all three of the apps that were available; Air Browser, Book Reader, and Adobe Reader.  Clearly this needed to be done, but, it has not changed anything.  I still get the don't have permission to read message.  By the way, what I am doing is dragging the fiie from a MacBook folder to the Playbook Media icon on the desktop.  Is there some other way?  Thanks,

Contributor

OK, the problem has been circumvented.  The key was Martin's tip regarding security settings for the ebook-reading apps, in my case Book Reader, and Adobe Reader.  I thought I would try, again, to download a purchased ebook from Fictionwise, and this time the ebook appeared in the download folder - this did not happen before.  Selecting either PDF (for the Adobe Reader) or Palm Doc - PDB (for Book Reader) works.

Since I can now download my ebooks directly from the vendor, I don't need a computer to act as any kind of intermediary.  The issue of transferring files from computer to playbook, while not solved, has become irrelevant.

Thanks again Martin.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Instead of trying to download why not copy them from the mac/pc to the correct folder.

notam wrote:

OK, the problem has been circumvented.  The key was Martin's tip regarding security settings for the ebook-reading apps, in my case Book Reader, and Adobe Reader.  I thought I would try, again, to download a purchased ebook from Fictionwise, and this time the ebook appeared in the download folder - this did not happen before.  Selecting either PDF (for the Adobe Reader) or Palm Doc - PDB (for Book Reader) works.

Since I can now download my ebooks directly from the vendor, I don't need a computer to act as any kind of intermediary.  The issue of transferring files from computer to playbook, while not solved, has become irrelevant.

Thanks again Martin.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.