Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
rbirse
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

Wi-Fi Connection attempt timed out

Hi, i successfully (painlessly) connected via wi-fi early today via my company open access wireless network, but when i got home I cannot get the Playbook to connect.  Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Rb

New Contributor
SolidSnakeOtaku
My Device: torch ii

Re: Wi-Fi Connection attempt timed out

whats the model of the router. and is there a password encryption on the router? If so what type?

New Contributor
SolidSnakeOtaku
My Device: torch ii

I found this... Let me know if it helps plz

"Wifi connections are not supported to any WiFi Alliance Draft11n certified access point that is set in 802.11n-only mode with TKIP or WEP advertised. This is a requirement for the BlackBerry Playbook to achieve 802.11n certification and applies to any wifi-enabled device certified for 802.11n.

Consult the manual for the wifi access point for instructions on how to disable TKIP or WEP as necessary."

so basically all you have to do disable the 802.11n-only mode with TKIP or WEP.

Contributor
mixmastermike
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook

It would seem if your Blackberry is connected to WiFi and BB Bridge is enabled the Playbook will pick ip the WiFi settings from your BlackBerry.  At least it did for me, got home and grabbed my PlayBook to set up the WiFi and it was already connected!

But I have my Torch setup to connect to WiFi automatically.

Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

Do a full restart of your device.

There's what appears to be a missing "refresh"  function on the wi-fi connection page. My device simply wouldn't recognise anything other than the original networks it discovered on first start. Even performing manual connection didn't work.

After I restarted the device the networks were located and I was able to sign in immediately. Looks to be a bug in the wi-fi search function.

z3328

I have completed three full restarts today and that has not fixed the wifi connectivity or bluetooth problems.

Are you suggesting to do a security wipe?

Developer
br14

[ Edited ]

I found a restart reset the available networks.

Are you saying you have no available networks, or that you cannot connect to a network?

And if you see available networks, are they valid for your location?

z3328

Even after restarting there still are no available networks listed.  It just searches and searches unsuccesfully.

Developer
br14

Then unless you really don't have networks available, it sounds like something is wrong with the device.

When I check in the Options app, I see the following:

1. Wi-fi connectivity - ON

2. Select a network (dropdown): Available Networks/Open Networks/Saved Networks 

3. The available networks

4. Connect Manually

5. Use WPS

6. Wi-fi logs

How is item 2 above configured? Is it available/open or saved? My guess is you'd need available or open

Can you connect manually to your local wi-fi network?

What about the wi-fi logs? Do they show any errors?

z3328

I have tired option 2 with both available and open network options.  I just performed a securtiy wipe and now I am in even a worse situation.

I am back to the factory setup screen but it will still not allow me to connect to Wifi.  Thank you for your help but I give up.