Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Paulodactyl
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telus

Wi-Fi connectivity Playbook

Wi-fi at home with NCF Freenet (Thomson 4F 2554) is flawless, for both the Playbook (updated to latest OS) and an iPod 4.

Cannot log on at the Ottawa Library with their ancient process, ever. Neither with the iPod. Connection is generally fair at a Starbucks or similar place.

Main problem is at a local bar on Bank Street, where I watch FIFA games with friends. Access is by the bar's wi-fi or by D-Link from somewhere.

I can access with whatever choice with the iPod for as long as I am there.

With the Playbook, connection is totally sporadic.

There can be access even if the Wi-Fi icon is grey, on either link. I can access by turning ON to OFF and back again, for a short time. Suddenly, D-Link will appear 'do you want to connect' etc. It will, and then quit shortly thereafter, or maybe after twenty or more minutes.

There does seem to be a problem with how the OS is handling wi-fi at a number of places, and the catch is that it is not the local wi-fi, since the connection with the iPod is constant.

Any pointers?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Wi-Fi connectivity Playbook

Have you upgraded to the newest OS version? Assuming the answer is yes, here are a couple of explanations:

1. Too many devices are trying to connect at once. This is a specifically a problem when trying to use a public wifi connection such as in a public library or so. Routers can only handle so many devices connecting at once, so if there are already too many people trying to use the system...

2. If you're using a router with SSID "DLINK" and an open connection (no security) that is unlikely to be the bar's router. Instead, it's more likely that it is a signal coming from a neighbouring home that has not locked down their wifi signal. In that case, the issue likely just has to do with range. Now then, be aware that router firmware can also impact performance. For example, my Torch stopped connecting to my Linksys router for some reason. I updated the firmware on the router, and bingo, I was back up and running in no time at all.

Unfortunately when you're out of your own house, you're no longer in control of the wifi system that you're trying to connect to and things like range, number of devices connecting and firmware can all have impacts.

I hope that info is helpful.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddalley
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

I fully understand the OP's plight.

I was in Yorkdale Mall, yesterday, and tried to stay connected to any of the open public access points. The PB could see them, the signals were strong, it would connect, but it kept on breaking my connections. For example, Timothy's network wanted continual authorisations, but after the first connection, it never connected again. The same for a store's network and the mall's own network. I didn't bother with testing Apple's, since the pattern was pretty clear.

How many wireless connections can a router handle? 255? That doesn't account for all of the dropped and blocked connections. 

I'll have to try again after the latest update I got today. 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

It all depends on the specific router. If the router is a consumer model, you'll likely only be able to connect 10-15 devices before you start having problems. If it's a business model, they're more durable and can handle more connections.

One way you can tell is that if your PlayBook connects fine at home and at something like Starbucks, then there technically isn't anything wrong with the PlayBook. If you can't connect with your PlayBook, but then turn on a laptop and that can connect, then that would suggest that the PlayBook's wifi isn't able to properly communicate with the router. That would require a software update to apply a fix.

If you're able to confirm the latter, then try to get as much information as possible, including what type of router you're connecting to. And if you're having issues connecting, don't be afraid to let the store know. They may simply need to have someone check that the router is on the most recent firmware as well.

:smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddalley

Or, as was the case at a Las Vegas Best Western, recently, have the router and load balancer rebooted more than once a day.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Paulodactyl

Back again to the bar, to watch Chelsea v Man City.
Once again, since there was no one on wi-fi except me there, why no connection? The blue line always, for any site, stops at one third across the screen.

Nothing to do with an iPod, which connects and reveals whatever I wish.

So, it's the Playbook at fault. I clean the cache, I empty whatever, at different times. No difference. This is a problem that no techie has answered so far.

I reiterate: it is the Playbook that cannot connect, even when all the lines are solid green.  

Please use plain text.
Visitor
silvio182
My Device: bb playbook
My Carrier: fido

I agree. I have no problem with the PB at home. I take it anywear with wifi and nothing. It shows a connection but nothing.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Paulodactyl

Update: local Starbucks, works there, but not for too long. The problem is that after going to a few pages, the browser will hang. Closing and re-opening seemingl corrects the problem, and again it will last for a decent time.

There must be a problem with the browser, because this has occurred from day one of purchase: I had one from the early days, until stolen, and replaced with another. None of the OS updates seems to have been related to a browser flaw. I assume that because it still clogs up and won't open in certain environments with Wi-Fi of a nature that does not affect the iPad or iPod very often.

I have seen no other tablets, so I cannot offer comments. The Samsung, with 11.6 inch tablet (at the same size as the 10.1) due in February seems very interesting!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ddalley

What I find interesting, regarding this problem, is just how quickly WiFi signals come and go with no apparent reason.

One moment the list is filled with about 20 signals, then next refresh there are none.

Baffling. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
daviesjim
My Device: playbook 16 gb
My Carrier: Rogers

I continue to have the same problem with my playbook. I just purchased it early December and it has the latest OS.

The WiFi is intermittent at home, same goes for Bluetooth and bridge linking.

WiFi will operate for a time, then quits and pages do not load in a browser or the app store is inaccessible. I've also tried accessing the web using bridge and bluetooth and been able to access the web this way using the bridge browser. Last night I couldn't connect using bridge at all. The phone eventually timed out, I also had WiFi for a while but then it wouldn't work. This is very disappointing, when it works it's great, but it's very unreliable. I hope a software upgrade comes soon, right now at this rate it will end up becoming a very expensive paper weight.

Please use plain text.