Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
ddalley
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16Gb

Re: Wi-Fi connectivity Playbook

A pattern is emerging, here, and the problem needs to be escalated to a level above this forum, until BB recognises that we have a WiFi issue.

Contributor
Paulodactyl
My Device: PlayBook

So, there are common problems with the browser and the wi-fi. Now then, there is supposed to be a massive upgrade of the Playbook OS in February.

But, given this news of no new phones until at least the third quarter 2012, what is the likelihood?
ZDNet : http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/rims-ceo-tandem-portrait-of-pathetic/65586?tag=nl.e539

Visitor
tedkuz
My Device: Torch 9800 and Playbook

I am having the same problem. The playbook will connect to WiFi at home or elsewhere but it will not stay connected. My laptop and BB Torch or other tablets do not have this issue with the same routers. Any ideas out there???
Contributor
Paulodactyl

I have found that if you touch the wi-fi symbol (green waves, at the top, if you're lucky) and open by pressing the green waves again, that often, next to Select a network there is a green circle circulating! 

Sometimes, if I click on the green arrows to the right of the named Wi-Fi source, it then connects. Not always. 

This problem is constant, and obviously, since RIM is trying to find other chips to base its new phones on, an indication that the chips in the Playbook are not quite up to the task. I do hope that that is not the case. However, with what has been going on, nothing surprises me about the downfall of the share price and the company.

Just now, as I saw my iPod was connected to my home wi-fi, I looked at my Playbook. It was not connected, although it had been when I first checked on returning home. 

Consistent inconsistency.

Visitor
macbodock
My Device: PlayBook 32MB Torch 9850

1st post ever!

Hello all,

I just got my PB from SBB and had a hard time getting it to connect to my home network... The first thing that I saw was that the PB incorrectly id my network as a WPA2 Personal, when it should have id it as a WEP. Once I figured this out I then created a manual WEP connection with no problem. I took my PB to iHop this morning it saw it's FREE service and away I went.... Just my 2 cents for now... Thanks for reading

Contributor
Angus-Black
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook

The only free community WiFi I have tried so far is on our local buses.

It uses a web page whetre you agree to terms before it will allow you to browse.

I have better luck getting a good connection with the Playbook than I do with my Torch but I've only tried it for a few minutes.

I'll do some more testing.

Contributor
Paulodactyl

I am still having problems at various places, especially my favourite football (FIFA) bar. Will load D-Link for twenty minutes, and never thereafter.

Mind you, having read this, I am worried about why I have spent so much money on RIM in the past year or so: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/how-americans-learned-to-stop-loving-the-cr...