Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
cam94z28
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A - Wifi

Wi-fi is defective and cannot complete setup

[ Edited ]

Wifi appears to have failed on my playbook. I could not get it to see any connections, or connect manually. I tried both the OS update via PC, as well as a full reinstall, and it still will not function. It finds no broadcasting connections, while there are 5 or 6 in my neighborhood within range. When manually setting up wi-fi it infinitely sits at "connecting". It never fails, and never returns any errors. Bluetooth also does not function, and would turn itself back off 2 seconds after sliding to the "on" position. I would assume since they use the same chip, that this is a hardware problem.

The biggest annoyance is that I cannot even get to the home screen, or use the device, because, apparently wi-fi is required to accept the EULA when initially configuring the playbook. It has basically become a brick now. Is there any way around the wi-fi config screen?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MrAureliusR
My Device: PlayBook 16gb Wi-Fi only, OS 2.1.0.1314
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Wi-fi is defective and cannot complete setup

Even if there were a way around the wi-fi config screen, what would be the point? A tablet is useless without internet, email, apps, etc etc.

If it's new try and get a replacement, if it's within a year of purchase register your serial number in the official support section of the BB website... otherwise, yeah, you're right it's most likely the chip has gone and that majorly sucks.

-----------------------
PlayBook 16GB Wi-Fi
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

try and go to a public hotspot, like at McDonald's or Starbuck's coffee.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
shacam
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: att

I have had the same problem. I did call tech support. They could not help me set up my wi-fi connection at home so I had to go to a hotel lobby with wi-fi and set it up there. I still cannot figure out how to connect to my home router yet. My laptop works fine so I know my wireless works. I wish there was someone who could give me step by step instructions on how to get this figured out. I do have a netgear router. I read something about 802.11n only mode but i have no idea what that means nor where to find that on my netgear router page online. Can anyone out there help with this? Thanks

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cam94z28
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A - Wifi

I actually have 3 different wifi routers i tried. My normal ASUS wireless-G, Brighthouse lightning cable modem (Wireless-N), and I even tried wi-fi tethering to my android phone. I am pretty confident that the wifi has failed. My laptop actually finds 8 broadcasting SSID's in my neighborhood, from the same room the Playbook finds 0. 

Please use plain text.
shacam
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: att

it sounds like it to me. At least mine was finding all the wifi's in the hood, even mine but still failed to connect. Take it to a wi-fi hotspot and that should confirm your suspicions. Then return it.

Please use plain text.