If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
MountainDew
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Wifi Connection Dropping

My Playbook (OS2) is always dropping its connection to my Cisco N router. I have updated the router firmware but still Playbook drops connection at a distance of no more than 16 feet from the router. I only had my PB with OS 1.***** for a week before OS2 was released so I am not sure it wifi performance has decreased since upgrading the OS. My other wireless devices (HP laptop, Epson printer) do not have any problems with their connections.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Wifi Connection Dropping

First thing to try is in settings, wifi, select saved networks, select yours to edit, then ensure checks on 

Automatically obtain ip

Enable ipv6

Allow inter access point

If appropriate select 2.4ghz rather than dual band

If that does not improve, consider the cisco router...

Try WPA rather than WPA+WPA2

Try a fixed channel eg 6

Try wireless g instead of n

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 x 2, PlayBook 16g & 64g, Bridged with RROYY.com
My Carrier: ATT

I have the same issues and found its not the PB but my (DLink DIR-615) router was actually rebooting during use of our two PBs!  I have updated the firmware and tried several combinations of settings suggested in this forum and other forums and still have the same issues.

After starting threads in other forums I have concluded that users of the CISCO SysLink e3200 and e4200 series routers have the fewest problems with the PB loosing WiFi connectivity and will be replacing the DLink soon.

Hope this helps

Don't always fault the PB but look at the rest of the connection chain as well.

Also consider putting distance between your router and modem.  This has always been a known issue that modems emit strong noisey rf that can influence a router's performance.

MountainDew

My router is a Cisco e4200 and the further away I get, say 25 feet the connection is worse. I will try changing the wifi settings in PB and see how that goes.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800 x 2, PlayBook 16g & 64g, Bridged with RROYY.com

When I say space between your modem and router I am not talking about your PB or any other WiFi client. I am talking about your router being in close proximity to your modem. Unless you change the RF power setting to its highest setting getting away from your router will drop the signal. You have one of the best routers out there if not the best. Watch your router and see what the lights are doing next time you loose signal if it is normal than the router is not at fault. Again check your RF power settings in the router and make sure there are no walls, appliances or other obsticles between your PB and the router. Best signal is direct line of sight but there are always exceptions.
MountainDew

So if I understand you correctly on separation of router and modem I should put some distance between them. Right now they are almost on top of each other.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71

Yeah I've looked at some WiFi forums that suggest about 8 feet between modem and router. This may not solve the PB dropping connection issue. I haven't seen a fix for that yet but we'll all keep trying each other's suggestions.

MountainDew

OK. What I am going to do is restore my original state and then try the modem/router separation solution and see what happens. I will report my findings.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MountainDew

I provided the recommended separation between my cable modem and my router however that did not seem to make any difference in the variation of wifi signal strength and the occasional disconnect.

What seemed to really work, eventually, is the first suggestion in this thread and that being 'go to wifi settings in Playbook, Enable ipv6 and selecting 2.4ghz rather than dual band'.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Zildjian71

Hey Dew glad u found something that worked...see sometimes the forums actually help :smileywink: