Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
riverrick
My Device: Blackberry Playbook v2.0
My Carrier: None

Wifi draining battery in standby mode

I have a problem with my battery draining quickly in standby mode if wifi is on.  This started shortly after upgrading to 2.0 but not sure it's related to the upgrade.   I've tried tips from the support forum, have changed email to manual update only, and deleted all apps that were installed after 2.0 upgrade.  The problem is consistent - if I turn off wifi then go into standby mode, the battery drains at .4% per hour.  If I leave wifi on, my battery drains at 6% per hour while in standby mode.  I'm a couple of weeks past my complimentary 90 day service or I would open a ticket.

Any ideas? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Wifi draining battery in standby mode

Wi-fi should be negligible. Mine will happily last for weeks in standby with wi-fi on.

Just a thought: could it perhaps be something not on the PB but on the network that is keeping the PB busy? For instance, a router that is frequently re-assigning IP addresses or re-keying more than it should (mine does so only every 10 minutes, according to the logs). Or a virus scanner that is scanning network shares, and thus your PB too? Or some file sync software that is constantly scanning for changes? Or even some malware that is attempting to connect? You could try unplugging all other stuff from your router (or temporarily change the wi-fi password) to identify other network devices causing problems. To eliminate a problem with the wi-fi router itself, you could monitor battery usage on another wi-fi network to see whether it makes a difference.

It could also be an app running in the background that is doing more than it should. At the moment, only Android apps can stay running after being closed. Try cold-booting your PB, switch on wi-fi but don't start any apps. Check battery status, leave untouched for a few hours, then check again.

Battery Guru is a great way to see and track how much juice your PB is using.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Atzanik
My Device: Tablet: Playbook, Phone: 9780
My Carrier: Telus if it's working or not.

I've had my PB for quite some time now, and never really experienced battery issues until about 2 weeks ago.  I searched online for a possible cause/solution and kept finding information about e-mail settings and sync.  Having only POP accounts setup on the PB, this just didn't apply.   I also read about some android apps could be draining the battery when in standby, but couldn't really find anything on my PB that made a difference.

After a few hours of messing about with things, only to have my PB drain while in stand-by mode when the wireless was ON, I decided to security wipe my PB.  After going through the setup I had the same problem.   The battery would drain very quickly when in standby mode, while wireless was turned on.  If I turned off wireless it would be fine.

I then remembered that 2 weeks ago, I was messing about with the wireless networks that I connect to, scanning, editing profiles, deleting profiles, etc... then it hit me!

The drop down menu beside "Select a network"  I had always had on "Saved Networks", but about 2 weeks ago I had switched it to "Available Networks".   It also seems that after a security wipe and setup the default (at least on my PB under OS 2.0.1.358) was "Available Networks".   So I switched "Select a network" back to "Saved Networks", fully charged my playbook, closed all apps, unplugged it and put it in stand-by mode.

10 hours later the battery was at 97%

So what it looks like to me, is that when your Wi-Fi is on, and you have it set for "Available Netowkrs" under Select a network in the Wi-Fi settings, the PB will scan constantly (even in stand-by mode) for networks, and this appears to be very hard on the battery.  For me it's the difference between having to charge 2-3 times a day, or once every 2 days or so.

Just thought that I would share my findings in case it helps someone out there, as I wasn't able to find this information when looking online.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

interesting, I am going to test this on my families playbooks

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lynxs_claw
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Dont' know if anyone's tried this on your playbook... but it may be the "PUSH" on your hotmail or gmail (I think) account.  If you have this active.  If it's not then this is of course not your problem.

I had severe battery drain in standby.  I'm using OS version 0.668.  If you have these accounts, go into Accounts in your setup.  Go into your gmail or hotmail and look for the "Advance Setting" button in the left hand corner.  Once in there you should see a PUSH button field that you can turn on and off.  Turn it to off and then select a 15 min interval to check for new mail. 

We found that making this change made a huge difference to the WiFi usage. We went from losing 36% overnight to only 3%.  We had hotmail accounts active but didn't try gmail.  But from what I understand is that the gmail account setup is similar with PUSH like with the Hotmail Account.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

There were some posts some months ago which suggested that manual email polling used more battery than push, so the jury is still out.

I think it will depend on the email account and type.It's certainly worth trying all combinations. 

Main thing is if you are on walkabout with no wifi signal to connect to it will really struggle to find a signal and  to sync mail so it's important when away from a router or hotspot to turn on Aircraft mode or turn off Wifi.

Regarding the wifi "Saved" vs "Available" setting (which may be very relevant on walkabout),  I have noticed that if I go elsewhere in settings then back into Wifi it deafults to "Available" so I have no confidence that it actually stays in "Saved" once you exit settings. 

Did Knotty get anywhere with the tests?

My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have Gmail (EAS) and work (EAS) running all the time, I never turn mine off.

I am at 92% and have used it for some surfing.

My kids leave wifi on all the time and dont have an issue. no email on theirs yet.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.