Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
marz21
My Device: Playbook

Will Playbook be able to play streaming 'sdp' files in the future?

Hi,

While browsing around on my new Playbook, I downloaded an application called Orb Launcher from AppWorld and when I tried using the application which is supposed to let you view media files from a PC / Laptop on any other mobile device through the web browser it didn't work.

Every time I tried to view a media file like a movie, for example, it kept downloading the media file as a streaming 'sdp' file extension and said that there wasn't any default program to play this file on the Playbook.

Is this a Playbook browser issue or the Playbook media player issue? Does anyone have an idea if there will be any further updates that will allow the Playbook to play streaming 'sdp' files?

Please use plain text.
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Re: Will Playbook be able to play streaming 'sdp' files in the future?

Hi marz,

I remember hearing before the PB was released that RIM would be releasing an update that would allow you to stream media from DLNA apps on your computers and hardware.

I hope that they also consider regular streaming from online websites such as real audio and wmas, too.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Shao128
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry just noticed this thread now, just switch the streaming format to Flash and it will work.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marz21

How do I switch the streaming format to Flash? Are you referring to the file extension when it asks me to save the file because I already tried saving as a 'swf' file but it didn't work.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Shao128
My Device: Not Specified

See this video here for instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0H4Bl6ZHo

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marz21

Hey thanks a lot that really helped. It's all working now :-)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Shao128 wrote:

See this video here for instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0H4Bl6ZHo

ORB seems great, unfortunately it is not supported on Windows 2000 platform. :-( I feel so old.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.