Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

Wireless N issue on PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Anyone uses PlayBook with D-Link DIR 655 or any 802.11n draft Wireless Router? Are you facing wi-fi connectivity issue?

I am using D-Link DIR-655 with latest firmware.

My PalyBook would constantly disconnect between 10 sec and 2min after connecting, I would have to turn wi-fi off and back on to connect again. How to know it is disconnected? Simply in browser type any address, the blue status bar will move to 1/3rd of the way across the screen and then stop and not move... This is extremely fustrating.

I have iPhone4 and laptop that all connect fine with the same wireless router.

After couple of tests, these are things what I know:

PB wireless connection constantly dropped with N mode, this happens when

1. router set to: N only, WPA2 (or auto between WPA, WPA2), AES(or auto between ASE, TKIP)

2. router set to: N+G mixed, WPA2, AES(or auto between ASE, TKIP)

PB wireless connection very stable with G mode, this happens when

3. router set to: N+G mixed, WPA, AES (or TKIP or auto)

It looks like PB will choose N from the mix of N+G when WPA2+ASE is available. This is different from iPhone 4, for the same mix setting, iPhone 4 knows to choose G mode.

Settings 2 allows various wireless devices connect to same router in G or N mode, while setting 3 only allows G mode. because of PB, Now I have to set WPA and all of my wireless devices have no choice to use G mode...

I think PB has problem with draft version of 802.11n, while Apple is more smart here, it ignores draft N...

Should I go buy a new Router or wait for PB new update?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

Re: Wireless N issue on PlayBook

Here are my DIR-655 settings:

Version: 1.33NA,  2010/01/19

Mixed b/g/n

channel width 20/40

WPA-personal

WPA/WPA2 auto

TKIS/AES

I also had a guest mode enabled (G). You can try connecting via guest to force G-connection. However, N works fine.

It will drop connection if I am too far. Otherwise the clearer the signal, the less likely it'll lose the connection.

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg

My dir-655 firmware version 1.34NA,  2010/04/16

I tried your settings but didn't help.

No matter what WPA mode is selected, as long as Cipher is ASE, router status/wireless shows PB is on N, and PB constantly drop connection (signal is very good but no connection).

No matter what WPA mode is selected, as long as Cipher is TKIP, router status/wireless shows PB is on G, and PB does not have any connection issue. 

I tried to remove the security mode, and forced to N mode, same connection drop problem.

So it is defiantly related to N. I dunno why your DIR655 has no such issue but it does happen to me...

And thanks your Guest suggestion, it is indeed a workaround, I created a guest zone with TKIP to force to G, only used by PB, works like a charm :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaulds
My Device: playbook

I have the same router, I noticed the farther I got from the router the more it would drop. I went to a website called freeantenna.com and made a dish that goes over one of my antennas and my problem is pretty much gone. If anything changes, I'll get a signal booster, or WAP, or try a different antenna. I noticed that my signal got real weak when it had to go through one of my bathrooms that has alot of tile and duct work. Since my modification all is well..
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
chrispycrunch
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

what is the url for freeantenna.com...this one appears to be wrong.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaulds
My Device: playbook

I am sorry, it is www.freeantennas.com , there are a few templates on there. the one I used is the ez12, I made it about twice the size as the template. It is pretty simple but it worked, I printed it on card stock then pasted foil on the back side and cut it out.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mpcook
My Device: playbook 32gb

I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 and have no problems connecting to wireless with my pb on 5ghz N with WPA2, AES. Note that your range will be better at 2.4ghz but better speed at 5ghz if you don't wander too far away from your router.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Just a Stupid question, but how do you tell if the PB is connected via N or G
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ehmora
My Device: Bold 9000/Playbook

I hate to have to be on only G as well but it seems to have fixed the stability issues, thank you! Can anyone answer aandras question about how to tell if you're on N or G on your PB, I thought it was as simple as looking under the wifi status but apparently not? 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg

login to your router's admin page (normal http://192.168.0.1), under status / wireless you can find the list of devices that connectly connect to this router, as well as other info like, on G or N.

Please use plain text.