Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: 9800, and Playbook
My Carrier: rogers

any Rogers Wireless customers in the house? Teathering and Bridge Browser

are you with Rogers and able to get your Bridge Browser working?  

when I try to connect to isp.apn I get a message that I can not connect.  Is this something I need to call Rogers about?  I just assumed that teathering over bridge would be transparent to the carrier.  I guess not.

8100, 8900, 9800, and Playbook owner
Contributor
My Device: Z10 and PlayBook (sadly)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: any Rogers Wireless customers in the house? Teathering and Bridge Browser

Mine appears to be working... using Bridge Browser, I see activity on my BB and the pages load slower than I'd expect via wifi.  I'm on Rogers, with a BES account... not sure if BIS vs. BES has any impact on your problem.  I think I'd give Rogers a call.

FWIW, I was also able to start the tethering, which I assume gives web access to other applications on the PB besides the Bridge Browser....?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

I am with Rogers, and I am able to use the "bridge browser" without problem so far. It does load website slower than the WIFI, but it worked right away the first time that I tried it

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Contributor

i just tried it again to no avail  .   i might have to call them  

is this a service that you have to pay for  ?

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800

I use rogers wireless and believe what you are trying to do is setup internet tethering which is different then using the bridge browser.  from how I understand it the bridge browser will use the internet via your BES server which creates a secure connection and allows access to corporate web sites if allowed by your BES admin.  

Internet tethering allows the apps on the playbook to access the internet using your blackberry data plan.  I have a BES data plan with rogers and this is how I use my playbook with my Torch.

However to get internet tethering to work you need to config a custom profile under 

options - internet tethering

you need to set the APN to internet.com

username: wapuser

password: wapuser1

You will now be able to tether your playbook and access the internet on the rogers wireless network.  make sure you have a decent data plan so you dont end up with a large data charge.

Contributor

you are correct sir   kudos for you     

i was able to get the browser.  it is just painfully slow.    so do those settings above go into my pb or my torch?

Contributor

i got it going now    thx    

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 / Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

RE: Bridge Speed - when you say the playbook load speed is slow - are you meaning REALLY SLOW or just a little slow? I'm with Telus, and the playbook load SO SLOW via the Bridge that it's ridiculous! Also are you able to navigate from embedded links? I have not been successul
Contributor

it is snail crawl  slow    

if using bridge or teathering i would strongly recommend that you only use mobile enables sites..  it makes it a little better.   

fyi,  i made that a feature request.  like on my torch,  the browser will try to load the mobile sites first .   the PB does not do that.  regardless of the connection.  wifi, bridge,or teather it wants to go to the default site   

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800

So far my experience using the internet in tethered mode or the bridge browser has been just fine. The preformance is comparable to browsing the web when tethering the blackberry to a laptop. It is a 3G connection so not as fast as wifi but with a decent 3G connection on the Rogers network I am able to use the PB internet browser with facebook (live chat, viewing pics), or even stream a youtube video (with the occasional bufferring)