Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

eql
eql
My Device: Torch 9810, Playbook 32gb

backlight turns on by itself and drains battery

Hi,I am writing because I just bought a playbook and I have found that it drains the battery within 1 day without even being used. I have noticed that sometimes the backlight will turn itself on when the device is asleep or when the device is even off. I have a photo. I wonder if this is a software bug? Why does it do this and what can I do about it?Thanks

EQL

Regular Contributor
Original_Lucy
My Device: BB ZED 10

Re: backlight turns on by itself and drains battery

Hi eql, do you have any apps on your Playbook that require "checking in" to update? For example weather app, email, etc..  I suggest you putting your playbook into airplane mode, as that turns off all data synchronization and won't turn on the polling for information. On standby, the playbook will still look for email and updates, in airplane mode, all those searches are turned off.  I hope that makes sense, I can't think of any other reason why your playbook is turning itself on, unless you have an alarm set and then it comes on. So, give that a try. There are wiser people on here that will weigh in on this, also.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. :smileyhappy:
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

hold power button down for 20 seconds to reboot it and seee if better after

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

eql
eql

Thanks I'll try that.

eql
eql

Tried this but it only works temporarily.
eql
eql

Thanks I'll try that. I have very few apps, but I do have email set up so I'll try the airplane and see what happens. How long do most peoples playbooks go in standby before needing a recharge? My iPad lasts a long time but the playbook doesnt seem to last more than a day.