Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: curve 9220
My Carrier: IDEACELLULAR

bb playbook camera - non-functional - error.4003 picture or video

Got an issue that developed overnight with my PB, the Camera has stopped working.  Error 4003 Picture or Video.  Just have a black screen. I use the camera and video for surveys a lot and can't do without it. I used it fine one day. The following day nothing. I have noticed the camera still works for the video chat which is a feature I don't use...  What do I need to do to fix this? I have looked for information on this on the internet but not got much from that other than it can't be fixed???

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: bb playbook camera - non-functional - error.4003 picture or video

most of the time its in need of repair but this might work for a small percentage and in no way a guarantee at all

First I would like you to do a Back Up of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software.

This can be downloaded for free from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

After the Back Up is complete I need you to unplug your PlayBook and then push and hold down the Power Button until the unit Force Powers Off.

Now, while Desktop Software is still open on your computer and the PlayBook Powered Off, Connect the PlayBook to your computer.

You should see and error screen from Desktop Software pop up that has the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.

QUICKLY choose the Update option.

This will erase all the information off of your PlayBook and Re-Write the Software back onto it. Once it's complete your PlayBook will need to go back through the setup wizard, and you can then perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your information. The only thing that won't come back after the restore are the apps that you downloaded from App World but they can be easily Re-Installed using the My World feature in App World.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I have re-installed and up-graded OS of BB-PB again , as advised , but I am still in sam old status.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

MORNINGDEW18 wrote:

I have re-installed and up-graded OS of BB-PB again , as advised , but I am still in sam old status.

it was a slim shot, next step is to do warranty if you purchased it new in less than a year

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Is it a manufacturing defect with Blackberry Playbooy , I have similar error from many who happen to interact with me or came across in Discussion forums

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

This is a recognized "hardware defect ".  RIM (BlackBerry ) has accepted responsibility and is repairing or replacing the PlayBook, even if purchase was more than one year ago.  At times, a hard reset will temporarily fix the issue, and at times a security wipe followed by reinstallation  of the operating system will temporarily fix it.  However, usually the device must be returned to RIM.  
       The above sequence applied to one of my units.  Contact support by phone; be prepared to spend some time as the representative (in Costa Rica) spends some time contacting RIM after discussing the issue with you.  RIM will then send you a FedEx box; postage paid both ways, and you will probably get a new device, or a fully "factory reconditioned " unit.  The whole process takes less than a week.  I believe my unit was replaced with a new device.  The initial contact may require you to wipe the device and reinstall the OS (takes >an hour) unless you have already done it and they believe you.  You will then need to call them back to complete the process.

RIM (BB) has been exceedingly cooperative / accommodating with this issue.  Amazing for a company that is seemingly going out of business in the consumer market / selling itself in whole or part or some combo.

Good luck - a satisfied customer.  

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

[ Edited ]

Called support. Was told that it is not necessarily a hardware issue, and. if I wanted help on this matter, I would have to call the pay for service number and they would help me if I paid the $45 since it is past the 90 complimentary service!

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Update :. 26June 2014.  My device continues to work perfectly, with heavy daily use.Whatever RIM did with it worked. 

My Device: RD121WW PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: DIGICEL

[ Edited ]

I am presently experiencing malfunction of my playbook camera with the error message pic 4003 coming up each time I try to use either the camera or video. I only get a black screen. July 5, 2014