Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
sherljim
My Device: Blackberry playbook 32Gb
My Carrier: KOODOO

blackberry worn't charge - connection broken maybe?

I've read several posts about charging problems, but think might be a different one.  Is it possible the socket in the playbook itself is broken on mine.  The problem started when the tablet was about 30% charged.  I noticed there wa no charging indication when I plugged it in.  now - two days of light use later the tablet won't charge at all.  When I turn it on the red light shows for a few seconds, it starts to go throug a "turning on" routine, then "bongs" three times - then turns off.  If the socket is broken can it be repaired/replaced - or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: blackberry worn't charge - connection broken maybe?

It's quite common for that socket to get damaged. They can be repaired but whether it will cost much less than a new discounted playbook (currently they are £129 for 16GB in Great Britain)  depends on the repairer's price list. 

For charging I always use the desktop charger which uses the mac style magnetic three pin socket.

My Device: Blackberry playbook 32Gb
My Carrier: KOODOO

I'm intrigued by your comment "the desktop charger which uses the mac style magnetic three pin socket."  Please explain.  I see the "socket" next to the micro USB port, but have never seen a cord to effect the charge.  I suspect you're right that a repair would cost more than the thing is worth, but maybe I could use an alternate charging method???

Please advise

Jim

PS I expect it wpud mean however that I would no longer be able to connect to the computer - I'd only be able to charge it.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

The mac style connection is made by placing the playbook on the desk charger (a docking station) which needs to be purchased. Look for deals. 

You can copy files using wifi. Set it up in Storage and Sharing. Choose windows or mac, not auto. Only desktop software connection is a problem and that only affects debricking and auto backup operations.

My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

[ Edited ]

jarviser wrote:

The mac style connection is made by placing the playbook on the desk charger (a docking station) which needs to be purchased. Look for deals. 

You can copy files using wifi. Set it up in Storage and Sharing. Choose windows or mac, not auto. Only desktop software connection is a problem and that only affects debricking and auto backup operations.

I have desktop charger which I used for about a year for my 16GB PlayBook.  Lately the connection and the charging became intermittent.  I recently purchased a 32 GB unit, it charges promptly all the time when I place the unit in the charger.

When I took a closer look at the charge pins of the two PlayBooks, it became obvious that the pins of the desktop charger carved concave 'hole' into the pins of the older machine. This is the source of the intermittent connection. The same pins on the new unit are completely flat. I am puzzled because both units, the charger and the PlayBook bear the BlackBerry symbol. Hence they are not "mismatched" pieces of hardware bought at a garage sale.  I used docking stations with laptops for years. Never had a connection problem. There is no way this kind of problem should occur in less than one year of use.:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
don_hild21
My Device: Playbook version 2.1.0.1032
My Carrier: None D A

All of the older playbooks have those concave "holes" in the pins. Not the problem gauranteed.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

don_hild21 wrote:
All of the older playbooks have those concave "holes" in the pins. Not the problem gauranteed.

I bet you dollars fro doughnuts that theproblem is the connection between the pins in the charger and the pins on the PlayBook.  Looking at it more closely, the pins on the PlayBook are discoloured - oxidized? Maybe the gold plating wear off. This should not happen in less than a year of service. In any case i am stuck with it.  I onsed if the "magnatic charger would wotk better - here is an other 'investment' opportinuty'. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Do you know anyone with a PB that you could try the charger on? I mean, if it actually works, but just not your PB, you could at least sell it. If I were you, before I'd sell it, I'd take your PB to a local store that sells BB accessories and get a salesperson to help you demo a freshly unboxed charger on your tablet. If it works then, you know it's the charger and not your tablet. Tell them you wish to test it before purchasing...normally, they'd unbox it for you if you ask nicely.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011

If you read my first entry, you would know that I have bought a new PlayBook - call me  a sucker - and it charges instantly in the desktop charger. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Well perhaps someone else will try what I posted.

Please use plain text.